In case of emergency what’s the best tool to cut a harness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a Spyderco knife for years and can attest that it has decent rust resistance but the cutting edge has to be maintained when exposed to salt water.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Get a trilobite, cover the blade in silicone or tribolube, and plan on replacing the blade once a year or so. Put it on the wrist strap of your computer. They're a consumable commodity, even if they never get used.

Get another one, do the same, put it on your other computer wrist strap or on your harness.

Get a cheap stainless serrated steak knife, break the tip off so it's blunt. Put it on your harness on the left side, GI3 style.

If you'll be in a place where you think you might need to deal with something like steel leader, get a pair of EMT shears and keep them in a pocket. I know one guy that keeps them on his harness and uses it to stow his long hose.

Pokey things underwater are just as likely to end up poking you, as poking something else. Then you're bleeding underwater, and still trying to use the knife for whatever you wanted to use the knife for. 99.99999999% (someone complained about significant digits on here once) of your underwater knife use will be better served with a blunt tip. That doesn't mean they don't have a place though, just be careful with pointy tips. Unless you're Bob DBF, in which case you should probably carry an air-powered chisel as well.

99.99999999% (someone complained about significant digits on here once) of your underwater knife use will be better served with a blunt tip.
I'd say that that depends a lot on your diving. The knife I routinely strap to my calf has mostly been used to spear flounders. Pretty hard to do that with a tiny steak knife with a blunt, broken-off tip. Same thing with the 5cm long, pointed blade I carry on my waist strap and have used primarily to kill off said flounders.

I'd say that that depends a lot on your diving. The knife I routinely strap to my calf has mostly been used to spear flounders. Pretty hard to do that with a tiny steak knife with a blunt, broken-off tip. Same thing with the 5cm long, pointed blade I carry on my waist strap and have used primarily to kill off said flounders.

The context presented by the OP was for emergency use. If I needed a kill knife, of course it would be pointy. It would be pointy and big and I'd probably scream Rambo quotes through my regulator when using it. I'd be hesitant to swing it behind my head to cut away an entanglement. :p

The context presented by the OP was for emergency use.
I kinda overlooked that, mea culpa. OTOH, the statement I quoted could easily be interpreted as being more general than what the OP was about :)

This is what I carry, knife and shears all in one.

(The shears are also great for trimming off lionfish spines.)

XSSKR_3.jpg

Does anyone make a ceramic dive knife? i know one company has a line cutter with ceramic blades.
I dont believe ceramic would erode in sea water

Does anyone make a ceramic dive knife? i know one company has a line cutter with ceramic blades.
I dont believe ceramic would erode in sea water

Dunno about a dive knife, but Benchmark makes a ceramic folding knife. I don’t know anything about the metal components though. I would imagine you could replace the screw with something stainless at the very least. I don’t know anything else about it though. But for 7 bucks for a pair it’s worth checking out.

Benchmark Ceramic Folding Knife Black & Green Handle (3" White) - Blade HQ

Back
Top Bottom