IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FLORIDA DIVERS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well ya know, somebody was gonna find a way to get more money outa us scuba divers sooner or later....

Is this kind of like the "voluntary" Pennecamp medallions?

Genesis once bubbled...
Is this kind of like the "voluntary" Pennecamp medallions?

No this is like a newly formed state agency that wants money and clout. They also want to establish no fishing zones. One more reason for the grouper troopers to bother you while you're on the water. The meeting is to get input before they start implementing their plans. I intend to give my input on the need for an admission fee to enter the ocean while wearing a scuba tank.

arrrrrrrgh I just want to be left alone and dive, I don't want go to meetings and deal with political/govt twits who are trying to expand their bureacracy. I'm sure they are convinced they are saving the reefs by putting little cards about the reef in every hotel room among other plans.

"Lord protect me from well meaning people, my enemies I can handle on my own"

CBulla once bubbled...
I didn't see anything really that said it was going to charge anyone.. just looking to protect more habitat before it goes the way extinction..

look in todays sun sentinel, the outdoor section Notebook

"exploring the establishment of a fee for divers that would help fund SCRI projects."

I don't want to pay to have myself regulated.

Where did this come out of?

Where is the enabling legislation?

I've looked around and all I found was this:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/coral/draft.pdf

Where did this monstrosity COME FROM? I've been unable to identify that - but you folks need to start pushing on that point, because that will define, to a large extent, whether they can impose fees or not.

I'm not sure there's a precedent here for this, nor that it could be enforced. We already require fishing licenses for those who are fishing underwater (whether "collecting" tropicals for our personal SW tanks or shooting them for food)..... I am not at all sure they can "tax" lookers, unless they propose to hit all who boat - after all, you only need a mask to be able to "dive" (that is, look underwater.)

More investigation is definitely needed here, and in the meantime, some loud shouting and organization of divers at their upcoming meeting on the 16th is definitely called for.

Tell ya what... as an individual I'll be taking this up with my state senator. If he doesn't know about it and it isnt brought up as an issue, it'll be left alone to do whatever - So speak up and make noise!

If you need help finding out who your regional senator is, let me know and I'll try to iron out who you need to contact.

NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection announces a meeting to which all persons are invited.

DATE AND TIME: December 16, 2003, 5:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M.
PLACE: International Game Fish Association Auditorium
300 Gulfstream Way
Dania Beach, Florida

PURPOSE:

This is the third all-issue public meeting in which the interagency team drafting the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative will present the most recent revision of the local action strategies. This draft will guide the implementation of selected local action strategies. The process should be a coordinated effort of federal, state, and local agencies, non-governmental organizations and other interested parties. Additional revisions will be considered as necessary.

A copy of the agenda may be obtained by contacting Paula Allen at
paula.l.allen@dep.state.fl.us or on the CAMA website. www.dep.state.fl.us\coastal.

GENERAL SUBJECT MATTER TO BE CONSIDERED:

Draft Strategies for the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative

a.. Agenda
a.. Welcome and Introductions
a.. Review of background on Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative
a.. Review and comment on current state coral reef conservation and management efforts
a.. Review and development of local action strategies for the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative
a.. Identifying priorities and developing next steps for implementation
a.. Adjourn
Pursuant to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, any person requiring special accommodations to participate in this hearing is asked to advise the agency atleast 48 hours before the hearing by contacting the Bureau of Personnel Services at (850) 245-2511. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the Florida Relay Service by calling (800) 955-8771 (TDD).

I just changed the name of this thread to be a bit more attention getting and stuck it to the top of the pile for the time being. I need SOMEONE who will be there to contact me ASAP so we that Scubaboard can be represented on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom