Pregnant hammerhead shark found dead at Delray Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where you on the Diversity this morning?[/QUOTE]

Yes, we were on Diversity. Lots of guys on board for opening day of Grouper season but none found.s And Captain Tony decided to stay on the boat and let Chuck dive. It was pretty rough out again this morning and bottom temps on The Trench and Chalfonte Reefs were around 72 - 73 F with a thermocline at about 40 feet.

Yes, we were on Diversity. Lots of guys on board for opening day of Grouper season but none found.s And Captain Tony decided to stay on the boat and let Chuck dive. It was pretty rough out again this morning and bottom temps on The Trench and Chalfonte Reefs were around 72 - 73 F with a thermocline at about 40 feet.

Oh, so no LionFish elimination today? :depressed: Too bad, hopefully another day.

Read that you saw a hammerhead and some bull sharks. Got a call from a buddy of mine who dive up in Boynton today. Guess what she saw? A FREAKING GREAT WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swam right by her, less than 20 feet away. And there have been other reports of sightings in that areas over the past month. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding about the gw? How cool for her, I didn't know they turned up in FL.

No kidding about the gw? How cool for her, I didn't know they turned up in FL.

Yeah, she's still freaking out! :shocked2: And we also get the occasional whale shark and humpback whales. Not to mention Hammerheads. But I prefer not to see them washed up on the beach, dead. :depressed:

Such a sad story, all those pups so close to being born. A shame. RIP 36 Hammerheads.

I'm an ex-Floridian, grew up in WPB for 22 years - and moving back in June. I read on the shark attack statistics site last week that the colder winter weather this year in the southern U.S. may be causing the larger sharks to travel further south?? Maybe. A Great White in Boynton? Wow. That's some really cold winter weather you had.

Amazing stories, both the Hammerheads' deaths and the Great White sighting. gulp. No surfing for me. I'll stick with diving.

GW!!??
WTF?
What about global warming?
I thought they were all going to go up to Newfoundland....

Chug
Is scared of GW's

Where you on the Diversity this morning?

Yes, we were on Diversity. Lots of guys on board for opening day of Grouper season but none found.s And Captain Tony decided to stay on the boat and let Chuck dive. It was pretty rough out again this morning and bottom temps on The Trench and Chalfonte Reefs were around 72 - 73 F with a thermocline at about 40 feet.[/QUOTE]

I think I was sitting next to you guys, well your wife? We had our bags mixed up. I only saw one legal grouper, sucker was huge. I shot it from about 20' away and unfortunately only got it's tail which it broke free from. Fortunately I didn't see any lionfish. Would've liked to have seen the hammerhead though.

I think I was sitting next to you guys, well your wife? We had our bags mixed up. I only saw one legal grouper, sucker was huge. I shot it from about 20' away and unfortunately only got it's tail which it broke free from. Fortunately I didn't see any lionfish. Would've liked to have seen the hammerhead though.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was us. Just looked at your profile pic and figured out who you are. We're heading home to Delaware tomorrow so no more warm water diving until July when we return to DFB. Back to the cold waters of NJ and DE now.

I think I was sitting next to you guys, well your wife? We had our bags mixed up. I only saw one legal grouper, sucker was huge. I shot it from about 20' away and unfortunately only got it's tail which it broke free from. Fortunately I didn't see any lionfish. Would've liked to have seen the hammerhead though.

Hey BigHarry not aimed at you, this is for soamelt.

Yep, that was us. Just looked at your profile pic and figured out who you are. We're heading home to Delaware tomorrow so no more warm water diving until July when we return to DFB. Back to the cold waters of NJ and DE now.[/QUOTE]

You shoot from 20' feet away on scuba? Why don't you just use dynamite? At least that way you won't just maim a fish.

Hey BigHarry not aimed at you, this is for soamelt.

You shoot from 20' feet away on scuba? Why don't you just use dynamite? At least that way you won't just maim a fish.

It's within the kill and accuracy range of the gun, so ya I'm going to take the shot and I'd do it again. The only reason I did get a kill shot was because of poor aim from this inexperienced shooter. I did nail two hogs the same day from about 15' away with perfect head shots.

I do feel bad that I wounded it, but it's not much different from all the lobsters you see with missing antenna's. The intention is obviously to catch/kill, but hunting isn't always pretty (in the water or out).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom