IMPORTANT health question for all who attended the Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for asking Colin, it's been a real roller coaster of a time these past couple of weeks :(

They finally found out what the mysterious infection was all about -- the titanium screws holding the bone flap in place were infected, as was part of the bone itself. ugh. So they had to go back in to clean out the infection and remove the infected bone. They did that this past Friday.

Here's a truncated update from Sarah...

The Good: the surgeon mentioned while he was in there he could not see even a trace of tumor! This is somewhat miraculous, so a hugely positive development.

The Not So Great: this recovery is NOT less intense than the other surgeries like they initially said, so we are still just waiting and waiting... the had to remove the titanium screws along with a bone flap because of infection. Its still not exactly clear yet what this will mean, we just have to wait a couple more days to see how she's feeling, responding etc.

Keep sending good thoughts to Janet - they are working :wink: Despite all that's going on, in the brief moments that she wakes up, she smiles and her sarcasm/sense of humor is fully intact. A really great sign, and proof that this chick is a real fighter!

It's been a while since my last update and thought I should put up this post.
I'm heading to Boston on short notice this Thursday to spend a few days with Janet - I've been in touch with Sarah over the last week and unfortunately Janet isn't doing well physically. Her spirit is quite well though :) She just hasn't been able to recover from the infection that landed her in hospital right after we returned from Bonaire (the doctors determined that it isn't at all related to her time in Bonaire). Her immune system is just so worn out that it can't fight anymore, and the antibiotics that are required are losing effect.
Send tons of positive thoughts to keep her comfortable, OK?!

Sorry to hear she's still dealing with this...hope she gets ahead of it soon. Send her our best.

Thanks James,
Unfortunately there aren't any more treatments available. Every route has been exhausted.
She'll be moved to hospice care sometime in the next couple of weeks, where the goal is to keep her as comfortable as possible.
I'll see her tomorrow morning and look forward to a weekend full of laughter -- and likely a few tears too -- but I'm grateful to have the opportunity.
:)

Thanks James,
Unfortunately there aren't any more treatments available. Every route has been exhausted.
She'll be moved to hospice care sometime in the next couple of weeks, where the goal is to keep her as comfortable as possible.
I'll see her tomorrow morning and look forward to a weekend full of laughter -- and likely a few tears too -- but I'm grateful to have the opportunity.
:)

Jenny we are so sorry to hear this news:(
Please tell Janet she is in our prayers and we will be thinking about you also.

We were not ready just yet to release this but we hope this will help with the laughter and smiles for your visit.

Back
Top Bottom