IMPORTANT health question for all who attended the Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scubaboarders!
I have an important question/request that I'm posting here and also on the Scubaboard FB event page as well:
Has/did anyone experience any of the following symptoms either while in Bonaire or since their return... Nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, intense headache, neck pain, chills.
I would be so grateful to hear from you if you have, as I'm trying to pin-point when/where/how this sickness manifested to get to the bottom of how to treat it.
If you don't feel comfortable disclosing that you've been ****ting yourself (haha) in this thread, feel free to send me a direct message.
Thank you so much!
Jenni

Jenni, I did not invade Bonaire but I did travel during the same time. Apparently there is a virus going around that is handily passed through airports. Basically, a form of flu with gastroenteritis effects. Treat the symptoms as you would with any other flu / virus. I know at least six people that also traveled (for work, as did I) that had the same thing.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2013 at 01:28 PM ----------

Thanks Rick and chrpai!
It's not actually me that's sick, although I do appreciate the well wishes!
I'm just going off info I'm receiving from a third party, and hope to know soon what's going on... my friend has been quite ill (and in hospital) since Tuesday night and they haven't been able to figure out what it is exactly.
:(

Damn. Didn't want to go there, but one of my coworkers ended up in the hospital. Me, the worst was over in 24 hours. Good luck to your friend! S/he may not have had any antibodies to help kick this thing's butt.

Thanks very much Jax, that helps and I'll let her family/doctors know.
You're right, she doesn't have the antibodies to kick it out herself as her immune system is already compromised.
We were so stupid to not think of having her wear a mask while traveling through airports and on the four flights it took to get to/from BON.
A very unfortunate common-sense mistake.
Here's hoping the doctors are able to treat it fairly quickly... we're going on 3.5 days now.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2013 at 05:11 AM ----------

Thanks Pete!
I've forwarded similar info... Here's what I've been able to find out about potential disease risks in the Netherlands Antilles from the Canadian, American and Netherlands Antilles governments.By reading over the symptoms of each of these, it seems unlikely that Hepatitis A and Typhoid -- the most likely diseases which can be contracted there -- are what she is suffering from:
Canada - Netherlands Antilles Travel Destination, Travel Disease Risks, and Vaccination Recommendations
America - Health Information for Travelers to Netherlands Antilles, including Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, St. Eustasius, and St. Maarten - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Netherlands Antilles - Disease Report -- they are currently reporting NO outbreaks within the last year of ANY diseases

Here's hoping the doctors are able to treat it fairly quickly... we're going on 3.5 days now.
She's in our thoughts!

Thanks Rick and chrpai!
It's not actually me that's sick, although I do appreciate the well wishes!
I'm just going off info I'm receiving from a third party, and hope to know soon what's going on... my friend has been quite ill (and in hospital) since Tuesday night and they haven't been able to figure out what it is exactly.
WNV and other mosquito illnesses can look similar to this. I'm thinking of her with well wishes.
Also, have they tested her for flu? H1N1 seems to have an odd habit of hitting in the off seasons. Some of the flus from other countries that can show up in airports could be like this, too.

Thanks Dr. Tracy, she lives in the Northeast and has been in hospital for 3.5 days on heavy morphine.
Today they performed a spinal MRI, so we're just waiting to hear further news.

Sorry to hear this Beaner.
All I can home with was a ton of dirty laundry and an ear infection (3rd time in the past year - I'm just prone).
There was a placard at Immigration Check in about H7N9 flu (I guess that's the latest version of avian influenza).

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery. So glad you 2 had a great trip otherwise.

I remember that warning, but I don't think it referenced Bonaire. In fact, it appears to be a respiratory infection and is confined to China. Avian Influenza A H7N9 - CDC

Thanks to both of you!
I'll make mention of it anyway -- I'm sure the doctors will have thought of West Nile and Avian Flu, but it never hurts to bring it up just in case.
j

Roxane and I are both fine and I have not been contacted by any other crew members saying they are sick.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Janet and her family.
Please keep us updated when you can Jenni.

I do not know of any health advisory's that have not already been posted.
I apologizes for not responding to this thread earlier but we were traveling all day yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom