Im stumped... what is this thing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Its a Faber low pressure tank it says 116 which im assuming is the size but ive never seen one of these?
M8303 04/1984 Ree 96
TD-3AA(x or M cant tell) -184/DOT-3AA 2400

Im selling it for a friend via email so i haven't seen it personally any idea on dimensions of the thing?

Its a Faber low pressure tank it says 116 which im assuming is the size but ive never seen one of these?
M8303 04/1984 Ree 96
TD-3AA(x or M cant tell) -184/DOT-3AA 2400

Im selling it for a friend via email so i haven't seen it personally any idea on dimensions of the thing?

M8303 = Faber
3AA = steel cylinder
2400 = working pressure in psi
184 = working pressure in bar
REE96 = hydro retest protocol (should allow for a + rating, or 10% overfill, if criteria are met)
04/1984 = manufacture (original hydro) date
TD = probably a typo, I suspect it says TC which would indicate approved for sale/use by Transport Canada
DOT = approved for sale/use by the US Department of Transportation.

If there is another stamp on the crown, S116, you have a cylinder distributed by ScubaPro with a capacity of 116 cubic feet at 2400 psi at 70F.

If it has been well taken care of, it should pass hydro requal. If it hasn't been well taken care of, it could easily be a wind chime.

So far as I know, all Faber 2400 psi scuba cylinders had an 8" OD. Length will obviously vary with volume.

ok got some more info on it today... from the expert i spoke with it cannot be any older than 4 years bc it has a blue steel valve on it which is fairly new for faber also it is in amazing condition with all the little stamps from faber and everything. lol he originally told me it was a 117 but ive ruled that out bc it is a lp tank not hp. i believe what he thinks is the original hydro date is actually part of the serial# bc fabers are a little different with slashes separating some of the numbers. he said the last hydro was 04 but im betting that is also the original...still not sure what size it is so far best guess is a lp80 or lp85 going to have to get him to bring it to me so i can verify. he wants $200 for it .. also ill post pics as soon as i get time

DSCF1827.jpgDSCF1827.jpg

what he said!!!

M8303 = Faber
3AA = steel cylinder
2400 = working pressure in psi
184 = working pressure in bar
REE96 = hydro retest protocol (should allow for a + rating, or 10% overfill, if criteria are met)
04/1984 = manufacture (original hydro) date
TD = probably a typo, I suspect it says TC which would indicate approved for sale/use by Transport Canada
DOT = approved for sale/use by the US Department of Transportation.

If there is another stamp on the crown, S116, you have a cylinder distributed by ScubaPro with a capacity of 116 cubic feet at 2400 psi at 70F.

If it has been well taken care of, it should pass hydro requal. If it hasn't been well taken care of, it could easily be a wind chime.

So far as I know, all Faber 2400 psi scuba cylinders had an 8" OD. Length will obviously vary with volume.

ok got some more info on it today... from the expert i spoke with it cannot be any older than 4 years bc it has a blue steel valve on it which is fairly new for faber also it is in amazing condition with all the little stamps from faber and everything. lol he originally told me it was a 117 but ive ruled that out bc it is a lp tank not hp. i believe what he thinks is the original hydro date is actually part of the serial# bc fabers are a little different with slashes separating some of the numbers. he said the last hydro was 04 but im betting that is also the original...still not sure what size it is so far best guess is a lp80 or lp85 going to have to get him to bring it to me so i can verify. he wants $200 for it .. also ill post pics as soon as i get time
Your expert says it can't be older than four years because it has a Blue Steel valve in it? Think about this for a minute and, if you're still confused, drain the air from the cylinder and remove the valve. Then insert an old J valve and, voila, the cylinder will be at least 20 years old. It's mucking fagic!

When you get all the stampings from the cylinder crown, come back and we can get you a complete decode. There is definitely more data that you haven't reported.

Your expert says it can't be older than four years because it has a Blue Steel valve in it? Think about this for a minute and, if you're still confused, drain the air from the cylinder and remove the valve. Then insert an old J valve and, voila, the cylinder will be at least 20 years old. It's mucking fagic!

When you get all the stampings from the cylinder crown, come back and we can get you a complete decode. There is definitely more data that you haven't reported.

First off..the tank in the pic has a stamp on it that says faber, this is fairly new for their tanks, and not present on their scubapro tanks. also they stopped making tanks for scubapro at least 10years ago and if you will examine the pics i posted this tank looks brand new. also i VIP, O2 clean, and fill tanks for a living so im pretty sure i have a good idea of how the valve works.
...and, if i had the rest of the markings then i wouldnt need to post on here now would i???
faber pust slashes in their serial #'s that make them look like dates if you dont know what ur looking for so i think thats why he thinks the original hydro is 04/1984 when in fact it is part of the serial#

Can anyone tell from the pics if its a 7.25 or an 8 inch diameter?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

[video=youtube;RV7Qz640OeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7Qz640OeM[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom