Faber tank size question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased 2 Faber tanks that appear to be the same . I am unsure of the sizes of them tho. I have tried contacting Faber with no reply back. The marking s are as follows: 1st line- Made in Italy M8303 04/1982/034 2nd line-
TC-3AAM-184/DOT-3AA 2400 REE 86. I checked Fabers website and they mention a Blue Steel number but I think these are pre blue steel numbered tanks. I think they are either LP95s or 108s just not sure. Any help is appreciated.

I recently purchased 2 Faber tanks that appear to be the same . I am unsure of the sizes of them tho. I have tried contacting Faber with no reply back. The marking s are as follows: 1st line- Made in Italy M8303 04/1982/034 2nd line-
TC-3AAM-184/DOT-3AA 2400 REE 86. I checked Fabers website and they mention a Blue Steel number but I think these are pre blue steel numbered tanks. I think they are either LP95s or 108s just not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Just going to take a stab a what seems obvious:

The first line is the manufacturing origin. M8303 means it's a Faber tank and the date stamp pins it to 2004.

In the second line, the REE 86 has to do with specifications for the hydro. Since there is no + there, it means you can't fill the tank to anything more than 2400psi.

The line TC-3aam-184 is a transport Canada stamp. The TC is for transport Canada, the 3aam tells you that it's steel and the 184 is 184 Bar, which is the same as the 2400 psi stamp (although 184 bar is slightly higher which probably means that in Canada you can fill them to 184 bar but in the USA you can fill them to 2400psi). Likewise the DOT-3AA is the Dept of transport (American) stamp which indicates again that it's steel.

None of that tells you what the internal volume of the tank is. The external dimensions will give you and idea. Are there any other markings anywhere on the tank?

R..

Edit, found something on google that defines the serial number better. 04/1982/034 means year 2004 - batch number 1982 - sequence number 034.

R..

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

I think a little more goggling gives you the answer you're looking for.

Faber LP95's have REE numbers in the mid 70's (73 or 75 depending on how old they are). An REE number of 86 would allow for more elasticity than a typical LP95 during hydro and therefore would indicate by deduction that it's larger than a 95. If the ratios of REE numbers to volume are linear (and I think they must be) then the math would tell you that an REE of 86 makes it a LP108.

R..

Last edited:
for what it is worth my lp fabers had the following rees on them

what are the height's and diameters of them?

121 = 97
85 = 87
95 = 73

My 12.2L Faber tank says everything on it. Although it was manufactured in 2015/1 so maybe they put more information on them now days.

I think it depends on the country and/or local regulations. In the Netherlands, there is also more information stamped on the cylinder, including dry weight (in kg) and internal volume (in L).

My understanding is that in North America the "volume" of the tank is a function of the internal volume AND the working (or filled) pressure. Since transport Canada and the DOT seem to have different rules for the working pressure (184 bar versus 2400 psi), it would be hard for the manufacturer to unambiguously indicate the volume.

In the rest of the world, the internal volume of the tank is indicated. The internal volume of the tank would be the amount of water in litres that it would hold if you took the neck valve off and filled it up with water. That is a clear and unambiguous measure of the tank's capacity. In North America you don't have this.

R..

As all my tanks are of the older ones i cant answer this for my self. Is the new tank marking system being seen in the US? I saw an example of it long ago but have not seen any in the field.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 11:25 AM ----------

I think your tank has the new marking system on it. It makes tanks more international accepted. pls put up a pic of the tank markings if you can. Is it like the one on this link at the top left?

https://www.google.com/search?q=scu...CQ#imgrc=_&usg=__4ci6w0zqfltRAMbyZYiupWFuvug=

My 12.2L Faber tank says everything on it. Although it was manufactured in 2015/1 so maybe they put more information on them now days.

Last edited:
Different again. It goes like this:
Made in italy

3/4npsm iso 9809-1 I Faber 15/0101/082 UT gc6-150099/11

4.4mm wt 14.0kg 12.2l cp232tp348bar (some sort of BVB logo) 2015/01

Australian tank as well. One line as per. All letters in caps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom