If it's not one thing it's another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I got out my singles rig to take a look at it before my planned dive on Thursday. It has been about three months since it has been in the water and about six months since it was last serviced. I have recently gotten a new high pressure tank but since the service the regulator has been hooked up to a different high pressure tank. I hook up the reg to the new tank and slowly open the valve only to hear a chorus of hissing. It turns out that the following problems are ALL present.

Damaged yoke valve face O ring, and resulting leak.
Leaking crimp on the high pressure hose to my SPG.
Primary regulator hissing out a small volume of air all the time.

All of the problems were minor and easy to fix, one new O ring, one new SPG high pressure hose, and a simple adjustment of the cracking pressure on the second stage. But it goes to show ya', when it rains, it pours.

Mark Vlahos

Also another reason to dive frequently. The crimp on the HP hose was bad and not just the O-rings in the swivel ?
Was that the 1st time you used that 2cnd stage with the first stage ? It crept right up on ya ha.

Take care; glad all ended well.

mark, was this the 'tourette's at vets' night? did you tell ken about all this surface fun? might have made him feel better about his mask!

ScubaSarus:
Also another reason to dive frequently. The crimp on the HP hose was bad and not just the O-rings in the swivel ?
Was that the 1st time you used that 2cnd stage with the first stage ? It crept right up on ya ha.

Take care; glad all ended well.

I have been diving recently, with the exception of a short time out of the water while I dealt with an appendectomy, but it has been in my doubles rig. Different tanks, regs, everything but me and the wetsuit.

The high pressure hose was at the first stage end, so no spool issues, a new hose was the only possible fix. As for the regulator, I have not changed anything; this first stage has been paired with these two seconds for about 8 years. The problem is that the cracking pressure adjustment screw inside the fitting where the second stage attaches to the hose is able to "self adjust" if the nut turns against it, usually it is stable, but it just drifted a little. While this is not common it has happened to me before so I know the fix and have the tools. The only other alternative is to take the reg to a shop for a "tune up". The IP was fine and consistent with where it has been since the last service.

Mark Vlahos

BabyDuck:
mark, was this the 'tourette's at vets' night? did you tell ken about all this surface fun? might have made him feel better about his mask!

Marci,

Yes that was the dive, I think I had as much fun with the surf entry as many of the group had at the Triangle Wrecks dive a couple of months ago. The cramp while taking off my fins just served to make me a victim of the surf, flailing about in the sand as the waves changed the depth from about one foot to five feet. Ken even said it was a good thing I kept my reg in my mouth, as if I would have let it go with the death grip I had on it as I tumbled about helplessly.

Mark Vlahos

yeah, but were you laughing like a maniac? i thought that was the greatest ride...

BabyDuck:
yeah, but were you laughing like a maniac? i thought that was the greatest ride...

I would have been laughting, but the cramp in my left calf put a bit of a damper on that. :(

Mark Vlahos

i'm sorry you had a tough time, mark. was it one of those cramps that's just now starting to get over hurting? once in a while i have one (usually when i'm asleep) that aches bad for days.

BabyDuck:
i'm sorry you had a tough time, mark. was it one of those cramps that's just now starting to get over hurting? once in a while i have one (usually when i'm asleep) that aches bad for days.

Yea, I'm still limping a bit. But at least I had a really good time on the dive. :)

While we all get cramps while diving, from time to time, I don't get them very often. On the exit in the surf was not the best time or place. But at least I laugh about it now.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom