Ideas to make 3/4" hole for P-valve install?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have my first drysuit and the Halcyon P-valve.

They Halcyon manaul "...recommends using a professional punch (such as a 3/4" grommet punch)..." to make the hole.

That seems like overkill - to buy a grommet machine to make one hole. I've tried to find the right size copper pipe but they only come in 1/2" or 3/4" and ... you guessed it, the sizes are not correct. They say it's like lumber - a 2x4 is not really 2" x 4"...So a 3/4" I.D. pipe is really like 7/8".

Anyway, anyone have another idea on how to punch a hole or where to get the right size item (3/4" I.D.) to make a whole?

I'm not inclined to burn a hole using any type of tool for that purpose. I'm looking for help to find the right size item to punch the hole.

All replies greatly appreciated!

Harbor Freight tools is your friend. They sell a set of punches that includes 9 different sizes.

Hollow Punch Set - 9 Piece

Costs about ten bucks Take a wood block and wrap it in a towel that you don't care about. Put that in the leg of the suit. The towel insures you don't poke any holes with splinters. Place the correct size punch over the location where you want the valve so the suit is sandwiched between it and the block. Give it a whack with a plastic dead blow hammer and you're done. I put a SMALL dab of aquaseal around the hole once the valve is in. This not only helps seal but also lessens the chance of fraying the material. Also did not want to use fire on it.

Just looked and I must have a different valve. The largest punch in the set is a 1/2inch dia and it was just right. Did you measure the valve stem that goes thru the suit to be sure it's 3/4? Worth doing 3/4 is an awful big hole.

I think that most p-valves need a 5/8" hole

<edit>
I recently put a halcyon valve in a friends new DUI suit. I cut the hole with a good pair of scissors. the hole does not have to be a perfect job since Halycon valves glue into the suit.
</edit>

Last edited:
What kind of suit do you have? I've been completely unsuccessful in finding a punch that will go through the bag on a Fusion, or the compressed neoprene of a Bare. But a small propane torch was my friend :)

I made a paper drill (hole punch) out of 1/2" copper pipe. Ran a counter sink inside the piece of pipe untill there was a sharp edge. The used a towel wrapped block of wood inside the suit at the location I wanted the valve. One good wack with a hammer and presto! I used the same drill on a Trilam and a neopreme with ease.
Hope this is helpful!
See you topside! John

The Halcyon valve uses a 5/8" hole, the OD of copper pipe is 5/8", making a punch like stated above would work good. As a side note I would advise against glueing the valve to the suit with the included Aquaseal. If you ever need to remove the valve you will need to use a dremmel tool to cut it off the suit, instead I would recommend making two rubber gaskets out of an old neck seal or similar type of rubber. As a last resort I would use silicone RTV and you only need a little about an 1/8" bead around both the flanges as it will spread out and cover the entire area.

The suit is a Waterproof D1 Hybrid.

The Halcyon hole is definitely 3/4". No mistake about that. And I did measure the threads on the valve and they are 3/4".

I was going to do the same thing that you did, Andy, with the copper pipe, but again, the 3/4" pipe has an I.D. that is 7/8". One half inch pipe is too small.

Jim, I will check out your link. The only thing is that and 89 cent piece of copper pipe for a one time only use seems much smarter than a $10 item.

I could probably use the smaller 1/2" pipe to make the hole, then widen it with scissors...that might work.

I'm going to check with Halcyon and Waterproof, too, and see what they say about using silicon instead of the aquaseal.

Thanks, all!

I realize you said your "not inclined" to burn the hole. But when I installed my Halcyon p-valve in my DUI drysuit I used a soldering iron. Worked great, never had a problem.

Al

That 9 pc. set does not have 3/4". Trying to find it as a single item now...not a set.

The Halcyon hole is definitely 3/4". No mistake about that. And I did measure the threads on the valve and they are 3/4".

The threads may be 3/4" but the shoulder under the threads is 5/8" and the material should be able to stretch around the 3/4" threads. Everyone I have spoke to and all threads I have seen have used a 5/8" punch and had no problem, I would prefer to have the smallest hole needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom