ideas and suggestions on the design of the "perfect" dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally got my housing yesterday. Thanks a lot USPS and customs. Waiting for them to send me the manual and software, and hopefully I'll get it wet in the next week or so.

This think is HUGE, though. Way too big to wrist mount. Although I have Galaxy Nexus, which is about the biggest phone out there. Also, this is a one off prototype just for testing. And it's machined out of aluminum. The final product I believe will be a single piece polycarb housing, and probably much smaller.

I got the Dive Phone. As far as I know Scubacapsule is far off from coming out with an android version.

We are about to launch the manufacturing of the Scuba Capsule dive computer for smartphones, and it would be great to know what you think about its features. Please take a look at the specs, and let me know if there is anything else we can possibly add to make it truly the best dive computer ever. We at Utmost are seriously into diving of all types and we want to have the best. Smartphones are much more powerful and easily upgradable, not to mention the media capabilities. We'd love to hear feedback from all types of divers.....

LINK: scuba capsule - The World's First All-In-One Dive Computer

Its been practically a year and no actual manufacturing has taking place. I must say to the UTMOST INDUSTRIOUS TECHNOLOGIES team that sometimes is best to focus one simple goal. I understand that making a good thing take time, but making many good things takes even more (i.e., three different versions of a case to turn an iPhone into a dive computer with everything under the sun). Since October 2011 when this was about to be launched for manufacturing, a new version, the iPhone5, has been produced; this means customers will be even more skeptic about purchasing this product. Focusing on main stream divers, recreational divers, the young ones, seems to be a much more simple goal. I believe they will be slinging Angry Birds, re-playing practical jokes at each other on a safety stop, sending media as soon as they surface and so on. On that note, I also believe that a practical, seasoned technical diver who has spent a bit of money and years of training having had a few close-calls at that, will not be too amused by many of these features at depth while carrying three blends and a deco bottle.

I've been following this for a while now, and quite frankly I've lost interest. Now, with the release of the iGills, the Scuba Capsule final product is starting to look more like the Time Capsule. As of today, 11552 people likes the Scuba Capsule on Facebook-the idea sells, yet, other than a quarter million dollars prototype, and a crowd funding (Scuba Capsule Beta Test Program : Utmost Industrious Technologies) stating that you need at least 100 registered members to deposit the one-time joining fee of $500.00
which I could not find under (Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding - The Industry Website), there is nothing out. What are your thoughts, is the team pressing forward with this all-or-nothing approach or will they consider focusing on a good entry level product and getting something in the market soon?

A good post that is make a lot of good points.

I am a tech diver and many things about these cases appeal to me. I do not care about the camera or video and such, but I do expect more from my dive computers than what I have gotten. I guess my downfall is that I expect many of the advanced features of a modern phone in my dive computer. I just want a dive computer that is modifiable on the fly with the processor power to give me more options/info on how it interprets its data. Why can't a computer be running multiple algorithms at once and allow you to change them at will during a dive? If all the data points for my dive are saved, why can I not manipulate that information while still on my dive (IE change gas mixes, run simulations, modify dive details, ect).

I know this is not the Tech way of plan a dive and then dive your plan. I also know that it is taught to only have one solution to each problem, but it is against my nature. I would love to spend my time on deco stops evaluating real world changes to my dive plan (How would my deco time differ if I was on CCR, or a different set point or different mix or different times). Shearwater is getting better with the estimated safest fastest time to surface and it also makes estimates to the amount of gas you will consume. I just cringe at the idea of a dive computer "locking" someone out or limiting itself. My hope is that once we see common phones become dive computers that someone like me will have access to modify the programs to do what I want (IE jailbreaking the programs/phones)

OK my rant and desires are over.

Jimmy

Finally got a quick dive in yesterday, and there are quite a few things that need to be worked out.

Depth is calibrated shallow by a littler over 2' at least compared to my Oceanic computer, although that's also a new computer for me, and 2' isn't that great of a difference.

I had to surface after just 1 min, for only a few seconds. When I descended the second time, the app stayed in no fly mode vs. going back into dive mode. Considering the short dive time and and the fact that this was a very shallow shore dive, it really should have just continued the dive...even more so considering this was in gauge mode.

The last problem is with the housing, although mine is only a prototype. They really didn't conform the cutout for all of the controls on the phone, just a big hole in the general shape. A few minutes into the dive, my phone bumped the side of the housing, and powered off. It doesn't help that my phone needs a pass code to unlock, but this is still major design flaw.

I just got the production housing. My phone unfortunately won't fit, because I have the biggest Android they make, but it's much nicer than the prototype test housing I was using. Smaller, nicer design, and comes with a few pads to keep the phone in place.

Back
Top Bottom