Ideal knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I was diving in a small lake today, I watched new divers donning their gears for their first OW dive. A young man has a long, 6 inch bladed, slender knife, with double edge and sharp point. Holy moley, I am not sure if I'd want him to rescue me from an entanglement situation.

What do you think an ideal knife should be? I am thinking of small, 2 to 3 inch blade, serrated on one side, compact, relatively flat, blunt tip. I am not sure if you need more than this? Perhaps an EMT shear? I think I'd rather use a shear or scissor over a knife to get myself out of a tangled web.

Easy answer... A Seahawk with a 7" blade... serrated edge optional. Knives are weapons and not tools. They should be used to intimidate and show marine life who the boss is.

For those of you new age, metro-sexual whiners who think that a big knife is to 'compensate for a short-coming'... try picking up knitting, it sounds more your speed.

I have a 3" Halcyon Ti Knife that is more than enough for any issue that I would ever see myself running into:D

I love dive knives - always have... I agree that a shear is probably the most functional for entanglements be they monofilitment or *shudder* spider wire; and to that extent, The FogCutter X by XSScuba may be the best of both worlds by combining a 4.5" blade and shears. Having said that, the knife I use is the USD Sea Hawk (but then again, I'm a Dork Diver). - Chris

fishb0y:
Easy answer... A Seahawk with a 7" blade... serrated edge optional. Knives are weapons and not tools. They should be used to intimidate and show marine life who the boss is.

For those of you new age, metro-sexual whiners who think that a big knife is to 'compensate for a short-coming'... try picking up knitting, it sounds more your speed.

Aw, c'mon now, don't be bashful; tell us what you really think ....

Columbia River Knife and Tool makes what I would call the "best" knife.
It's called the Bear Claw.

http://www.crkt.com/bearclaw.html

EMS shears work great and so does the OMS line cutter it's like a seatbelt cutter with replaceable blades.

His knife sounds like one of the old Tekna's we had quite the Rambo knife collection that were found on the lake bottom.

I dive with a knife and shears

For me, my ideal knife would be:
small 2"-3" of blade
serrated on at least one side
a line cutter
bottle opener
blunt tip

Currently, I dive a UK Trigger, which is similar to a Remora. It's only missing the bottle opener.

Yup... I've started to collect old dive knives as well as double hose regs. It's funny, when there are people around when I come out of the water they ALWAYS ask if I saw a shark... I usually answer that the shark was lucky that I didn't see it.

Simple answer, it's all up to you. What do you like and what are you comfortable with. Diving isnt a cheap sport, so buy a couple of them. I have a mini 2" blade, a 5" blade and a 7". use them all, depending on where I go.

Back
Top Bottom