Ideal knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
What about those crazy ceramic knives? Sharp and rustproof or deathtrap?
Are they practical? I thought they were both expensive and brittle... also, has anyone figured out a way to sheathe them for diving purposes?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned too much is choice of materials.

Indeed, titanium alloy knives are ideal due to their totally immunity to corrosion. However, there are many titanium alloys and some are more suited for knife blades than others. The best titanium blades are made of a 'beta' alloy, which refers to the crystalline structure of the titanium alloy. Beta alloy titanium can be forged and strengthened by heat treatment. They are generally harder, thereby holding an edge better, than the common and less expensive titanium alloy used for knives, the ubiquitous 6Al-4V 'grade 5' alloy (which has an alpha+beta crystalline structure).

When you look for a good cutting tool for use in a marine environment, look for a beta titanium alloy blade. Examples of such knives are the Deep Sea/Wenoka Squeeze Lock and the Ocean Master Dive Knife.

Cheers,

Sadamune

What about those crazy ceramic knives?

Ceramic blades are the sharpest in the world I believe, and of course impervious to corrosion. However, they are fragile and best suited to laboratory or kitchen use by someone skilled and very careful. A titanium blade (especially a beta titanium alloy) would be just as corrosion resistant but far more durable. If one were to accidentally drop a titanium knife, the knife would suffer no ill effects. If one were to accidentally drop a ceramic knife, the blade would likely chip or shatter.

A titanium knife is thus far more practical I think.

Sadamune

Titanium knives are expensive.

'Expensive' is a relative notion. There are numerous titanium dive knives available on eBay that are between $40-$60, which is quite inexpensive in my opinion.

Sadamune

Those TUSA knives or other ones from Japan with 420 steel keep a good edge and are fairly rust resistant if covered with silicone goo. Easy for the average guy to sharpen.

I sometimes carry a set of Wal Mart kitchen shears. Shears will cut a limp line, one handed, too. You have to stretch a line taught, somehow, to cut it with a knife.

deepblueme:
Columbia River Knife and Tool makes what I would call the "best" knife.
It's called the Bear Claw.

http://www.crkt.com/bearclaw.html

EMS shears work great and so does the OMS line cutter it's like a seatbelt cutter with replaceable blades.

His knife sounds like one of the old Tekna's we had quite the Rambo knife collection that were found on the lake bottom.

CRKT also carries; a fine knife IMO, the Hammond A.B.C. Aqua. It comes in a point or blunt tip, includes an extra yellow handle, plus a sheath with many ways for carrying.
Coupled with EMT/EMS, shears one should be set to go. I do have my old Buckmaster to fall back on, if I need to cut a whale or stab a submarine. :D

I love my Spyderco Atlantic Salt knife. Guaranteed for life not to rust.

SP-C89SYL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom