Ideal knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My knife is a 2.5" blunt tip.

1" is blade, 1" is serraded, 1/2" for the line cutter.

And EMT sheers.

I carry a set of EMS shearers and a 3 1/2 - 4" knife that goes with my Seaquest BC.

Zeagle blade and shear combo on shoulder of bc,small scubamax round tip-serrated 2-3 inch long on right side of bc. Occassionally a larger UK strapped to inside of my leg depending on situation...Probaly overkill but, rather have one handy if I need one instead of having to take a timeout from the situation and have to go to the truck to get one, kinda of hard while at depth and entangled.

I used to love spider/spectre wire for fishing but, now that I dive and ran into the #*%#$^%$@#! underwater I hate the crap!

how about 12" blade on strapped to each leg Rambo looking killing knives. Maybe dorp 6lbs off your weight belt!!!

Ok I carry EMT shears.

titanium shears and a tanto tip that is big enough to use with thick gloves on.

This is a knife, ole ScubaPro from early 70's.

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 138
I carry a 3" mini knife, and the typical EMT shears.

Here's a use for both that's worth some thought.

If you're near the bottom, over sand, and the current's too much for you, break both of these out, one in each hand. Dig them alternately into the sand and pull and glide.

Might just save your bacon, and get you back to the anchor line...

Depends on the dive.
For wrecking a short stocky blunt tip with a hammer tang is good; spearfishing a good sized drop tip is better. For general recreational diving a small knife will do just fine. I carry shears in addition to a knife on all dives. I own a couple of fog cutters and they're pretty good spearfishing knives and a fair compromise as shears, but not as good as a dedicated knife or shears... (One quick tip on fog cutters - if you're going to use the shears, make sure you get that little wire lock on the butt of the handle completely over-center open or that sucker'll raise a blood blister when it pinches you!)
I also have a few shroud cutters from days past but don't carry 'em any more.
Rick

I like the crododile dundee model, with an underwater blowtorch and a few grenades just in case. Of course I usually carry a garrote to make sure I'll be prepared in case a nasty eel sticks its neck out and a cyanide pill for those "worst case scenarios."

One thing that hasn't been mentioned too much is choice of materials.

The *best* knife for the *longest* time will be Titanium.

Note that "stainless steel" is just that -- stainLESS, not stainPROOF. I've had SS knives start to rust within 15 minutes of exiting the water... hardly enough time to rinse them.

Titanium knives, on the other hand, don't even seem to need a rinse.

Personally, I carry two tools -- a 3" squeeze lock titanium knife: http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/squeeze_lock.html

and a cheap pair of EMT shears that get replaced with another cheap pair when the pin looks like it's rusting too much to function (every 50-75 dives).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom