Question Do you think that there will be enough value added to switch gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, first of all to the MODs, if you think that this post would be better someplace else, please move it. I couldn't find the ideal place for it, so I put it here.

My current set-up is a Sony A6000 in a Nauticam NA-A6000 housing. For lenses, I have the Sony 10-18mm f/4 and the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4, both of which fit in the Nauticam 7 inch dome. (I have specifically not listed my strobes, because I am not planning on replacing them.)

I am seriously considering switching over to the Olympus ELP10 and the AOI Housing from Backscatter (Lenses and ports to be determined but probably the kit lens for day to day use with a Macro wet lens and the Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 fisheye or possibly the Panasonic 9mm f/1.8 lens & 4inch dome for WA.)
OK, first of all to the MODs, if you think that this post would be better someplace else, please move it. I couldn't find the ideal place for it, so I put it here.

Given that the A6000 has an APS-C sized sensor, and the EPL10 has a M4/3 sized sensor, I have a few questions.

1. Would I see a noticeable or significantly smaller “package” both in terms of traveling with, and pushing the system through the water column by switching to the E-PL10/AOI Housing? (Or, to be blunt will the juice, as they say, be worth the squeeze?)

2. In going from an APS-C sized sensor that is fairly old (on my A6000), to a relatively newer M4/3 sized sensor (on the E-PL10), will I see a noticeable degradation in image quality (Dynamic range)?

3. Would the same mini dome that is used for the 8mm f/3.5 fisheye (DLP-05 or DLP-06) work with the Panasonic 9mm f/1.7 lens?

4. Are there any potential downfalls (or advantages) that I am overlooking?

Keep in mind that I am a Vacation Diver who gets in 1 or 2 trips at most a year. I am also not a professional photographer so I don't need anyone to recommend a Sony A7S (or A7R) or even A9 or A1 series camera, a Nikon Z7 or Z9 or a Canon R series camera. I am looking for something small, and simple that will give me images at least on par with what I currently have. Also, I am a firm believer that no matter how meticulous one is with one's gear, accidents do happen, and I never take a camera underwater that if something does happen I am not willing to walk away from.

I don't see much difference in size between the two housings, not enough to make much difference in packing volume anyway. The big bulky thing is the 7-inch dome - you can reduce that by either getting a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye + 4.33" dome, or 16-50mm + macro port + wet lens such as AOI UWL-09 or Nauticam WWL-C. For what it's worth, I just got a UWL-09 and I'm enjoying the results, having shot 10-18mm in an 8-inch dome for a few years now. Seeing as you're using an A6000, the 16-50mm + wet lens is probably the better option, as the older cameras don't autofocus as fast or reliably with adapted lenses.

I don't see much difference in size between the two housings, not enough to make much difference in packing volume anyway. The big bulky thing is the 7-inch dome - you can reduce that by either getting a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye + 4.33" dome, or 16-50mm + macro port + wet lens such as AOI UWL-09 or Nauticam WWL-C. For what it's worth, I just got a UWL-09 and I'm enjoying the results, having shot 10-18mm in an 8-inch dome for a few years now. Seeing as you're using an A6000, the 16-50mm + wet lens is probably the better option, as the older cameras don't autofocus as fast or reliably with adapted lenses.
Thanks, I also have the lens (as well as the zoom ring and port) that you mentioned, but I have never really been totally happy with it. I have always viewed it as the proverbial "Jack of all trades master of none". So I normally just leave it at home. I do have a 67mm Macro diopter for it so perhaps a wet lens might not be a bad idea. Then, I could sell my 16-70mm and my 10-18mm lenses.

With 16-50mm + UWL-09F, you have to zoom in to 19mm to avoid vignetting in the corners, but even so, the field of view is considerably wider than 10-18mm at its widest setting. I have posted some pool samples here, and ocean samples here.

@Barmaglot, thank you for your advice. It looks as though I will likely pull my 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ (and its port) out of retirement and start using it with wet lenses instead of my 10-18mm f/4 and my 16-70mm f/4 and the 7 inch dome.

Based on what you said here and some discussions I have had with people off line, it looks like that may be a better option than either what I am currently using or the E-PL 10/AOI set-up.

If I sell my dome port & 2 lenses, it will likely offset the cost of a wide,wet lens.

Note that with a Nauticam housing, you have access to the excellent WWL-C. It's more expensive than AOI or Weefine glass, but offers considerably better quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom