Icon, V32 and Proton Metal - OK for nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidpfitz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone -

I am planning on buying the Mares Icon BC, with a V32 Proton Metal reg and an MV Octopus ... I want to be able to dive with EAN 32 or EAN 36 - is there anything about these purchases which would stop me?

I had originally thought all Mares regs were fine up to EAN 40, but seeing the 'Regulators Product Advisor' on mares.com it shows the V32 Proton Metal as not Nitrox compatible, but the MR22 Abyss is. Does it simple mean Nitrox compatible up to 100% O2?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
D.

Hi David,

All Mares regulators are Nitrox compatible up to 40% out of the box. Keep in mind that different parts of the world have different regulations, but the Reg can still work out of the box.

We do make a 100% O2 Reg in the Abyss and Rover.

Regards,

Phil

Wow - thanks for the fast reply!

I am based in Europe, but most of my diving has been in Egypy and some in the Far East. I'm afraid I am a temperate water only guy, so no UK diving for me!!

Also, I haven't had the chance to try on the Icon yet (nowhere in London seems to stock it) - but I am guessing that if I'm 175cm tall and 80kg heavy the medium is going to be suitable? All the rental BCs I've had over the years have been medium - is there any reason it would be different with the Icon?

Thanks again for your help.
David.

Medium should be fine, the Icon is cut full. Give our offices in the UK a call, they can direct you to a place that may have it in stock.

Regards,

Phil

Head U.K. Ltd.
+44 0 1539 724 740
2 Beezon Road - Kendal Cumbria
LA96BW Kendal Cumbria

Thank for all your help, Phil.

I've taken the plunge and ordered one in Medium!

Thanks,
David.

Last edited:
Hi

You wont regret it. I bought mine Icon this summer and went diving in Egypt. It's awesome ;o))

Have fun

Awesome - Egypt is where I'm taking it on it's first trip too! Off to Sharm, also with a new Aqualung Mikron - can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom