Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaK-Dawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Dive shops/instructors that are planning to offer an ice diving course in the PA/NJ/NY area this winter (assuming it get's cold enough and the ice is thick enough)? Call me insane, but I'd like to try it. Also, what additional diving gear is required that is specific to ice diving? I already am diving in a drysuit, doubles, and high performance cold water regs, anything else ???

I am also interested in this. I actually got a free "ice diving adventure" (won a raffle) with Scuba New York in Yonkers. They don't have any information on the trip yet, but I guess as soon as they do, I'll be there. They do require an actuall Ice-Diving special c-card... at least that's what I've been told. I;ve been diving dry for quite some time now, and becasue of the trip plan I had to go and actually ake the stupid class to get the Drysuit C-card (PADI).. that was a wate of my time (and money) really,.. did you know that PADI teches not to use the BC for bouyancy, but use only the Dry suit for ouyancy?? that blew my mind. anyway... I got the card just for the logistics...

I know that my regs have a kit for diving in the ice that keeps the water out of the first stage. An ice class does sound fun.

Hoboken Dive shop apparently does this every year. The trip up (to New Hampsire or Lake George) is apparently a big kegger. For that reason alone I am going...

:relaxing:

now that sounds fun. Any idea when they are planning to do the next trip, or do they just wait till the lakes freeze and plan it then?

mwilding once bubbled...
Hoboken Dive shop apparently does this every year. The trip up (to New Hampsire or Lake George) is apparently a big kegger. For that reason alone I am going...

:relaxing:

A diving kegger. That sound like a blast.

The Scuba Connection does an ice trip too.
Hopefully I'll be diving dry soon.

VTernovski once bubbled...
.. did you know that PADI teches not to use the BC for bouyancy, but use only the Dry suit for ouyancy?? that blew my mind. anyway... I got the card just for the logistics...

I keep hearing this and wonder where it's coming from. Unless i'm missing something, i don't believe PADI standards require teaching using your Dry Suit only for buoyancy control. If i'm missing something in the standards, someone please help me here.

We teach using your BC for primary buoyancy control and putting air in dry suit only to offset squeeze and/or cold. I think the main point is don't try to use both at the same time for buoyancy control and get caught having to vent both at the same time on ascent. Having to vent both at the same time is not good and is unnecessary task loading for the average diver IMO.

ScubaK-Dawg once bubbled...
now that sounds fun. Any idea when they are planning to do the next trip, or do they just wait till the lakes freeze and plan it then?
Sometime in March is all I know.

And regarding "PADI Standards" I have just gone through the knowledge reviews in this course and the textbook talks about using the suit for bouyancy except at the surface. My instructor will be going over both ways in the pool and at Dutch on Sunday.

Did an ice dive 2 yrs ago with The Scuba Connection. Awesome stuff!! People looking at my Fla tags and wondering what the @#$% I was doing there! Really a great time. I think its an annual thing for them. We went up to Vermont and dove Lake Champlain

An independent instructor who works with me take divers up to Vermont every year for certifications and dives. If you live in the PA area around Philly, PM me and I will get you in touch with the instructor.

Like DutchFin I am too an original Florida native. But unlike him I am not ready yet for this experience yet.

Back
Top Bottom