i450T review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two I have work great. 60+ dives each with periods of dormancy in between. Very happy with ours. That said, I started this thread because battery issues have been the only faults I could find when researching this computer.

I don't really understand ... why would someone pay nearly $900 for a computer like this when you could just get a perdix ai?

I don't really understand ... why would someone pay nearly $900 for a computer like this when you could just get a perdix ai?

You pay more for the form factor. It’s a watch. You can’t exactly wear a perdix to an office meeting. No other advantage.

It is a size thing. I don't wear a watch or any other jewelry so everything feels clunky to me. The Perdix, Galeleo and other large units felt like a laptop on my wrist. Stream lining was a primary concern in choosing new computers. Both for comfort and for lugging around fullsize photo gear under water. I find a wrist mount much easier to read, while carrying camera gear, by wearing it on the inside of my wrist. I still bump into strobe arms and cables with this unit. (first world problems). The perdix would be very obtrusive in this configuration. Its a lot for money for a computer but it ticked every box I had in my search criteria.
It also does not gather much attention on the boat or the beach. You may consider this a good thing or bad thing.

..... Its a lot for money for a computer but it ticked every box I had in my search criteria.
It also does not gather much attention on the boat or the beach. You may consider this a good thing or bad thing.
If you consider it is a good thing then who can argue with you.
Good on you.

I am considering its little brother i100.

I am in the market for a new dive computer, and would really like to get a wireless air integrated model. I am thinking very seriously about the Aqualung i450T. But I have seen reviews saying that battery life is a problem. I could always bring a spare battery kit with me, but it sounds like they might also be difficult to come by. Can anyone who has experience using this computer tell me if this has been a problem for them?

I am a recreational diver and do not do decompression dives. At this point in my life, it is unlikely that I will start to do tech diving. Obviously, the Aqualung would not be an appropriate computer if I did any of this kind of diving (doesn't it's manual including a disclaimer that it is only appropriate for non-technical, recreation diving?). But it should be fine for the kind of diving that I do.

The more legitimate question is probably why I need to buy an expensive, hoseless, air integrated dive computer in the first place. (The answer, of course, is that I don't) Either way, I don't want a computer whose battery dies half way through my live aboard vacation, after only a few days of diving. Which brings me back to my original question: any response out there to the reports that this computer has a very short battery life?

I recently bought the Oceanic version, the OCi, and my partner bought the AL i450T in white. I bought the OCi Black as I wanted the DSAT algorithm option though i have left it on PZ+ to match my dive partner. I'm sad I didn't buy this sooner as I really love this comptuer.

We just spent a week in Bonaire and these computers worked great. The air integration worked very well except twice mine lost connection and beeped at me as I kept my hands under my body and it couldn't get a reading. As soon as I looked at it and it received a signal, all was well. The menu system is excellent. It's small enough that I wore it as a watch all week. It's easy to read underwater and on the boat. The screen is very clear and easy to understand. Overall we are both very happy with these and we would purchase these again in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom