I would like to make my own hookah setup....is it this simple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I think it's a bit ridiculous to go to the lengths you suggest to try to save what will literally be only a few dollars. I know with certainty the hose I buy is safe and that means I can get in the water without worry and earn my living.

Found a very interesting read. As you might have figured out by now, fstbttms often does not give the rational or back his answers up with data. He has commented frequently whenever the topic of breathing hoses is brought up. He also often calls anyone who would think of using anything other than "grade E" or "MIL-H-2815G Section 3.12.2." When asked what these standards or grades actually mean he usually goes back to name calling. I did some searching and was finally able to find some interesting info about the MIL-H-2815G standard and some testing they did a while back. Thought I would share it with you. http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/contaminated_water/Breathing_hoses.pdf

33HB Divers <----- I found this funny about the gates hose. In the description they say made in the USA. The picture of the hose has "made in mexico" on it :rofl3:

When asked what these standards or grades actually mean he usually goes back to name calling.
I have never called any individual on this board a name. Ever. The fact that you have to attempt to discredit me to make your position on breathing hose look valid says a lot about you however.

33HB Divers <----- I found this funny about the gates hose. The picture of the hose has "made in mexico" on it :rofl3:
Hey chief, try looking in the American catalog next time, not the European one:

gates33hbhose.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of bitching and complaining about non-issues here. :shakehead:

Buy divers air hose from a scuba or hookah dive supplier. It's not that expensive, and you know you are getting a safe product. Welding oxygen and medical oxygen are the exact same thing, it's just differing labels. The shops are required to vacuum drain the medical tanks before refilling. Some shops vacuum the welding tanks, some don't. Honestly, I don't see much to fear from a non-vacuumed tank. I use welding oxygen to PP blend at home, just like most people who do it.

Buy divers air hose from a scuba or hookah dive supplier. It's not that expensive, and you know you are getting a safe product.
+1

With the caveat that not all hookah sellers are selling Mil-Spec hose. Be aware of what you are getting. Plenty of the low-budget hookah retailers will sell all kinds of stuff as breathing hose.

OK, I'll make this easy on all of you, make me a resonable offer on the Brownies hoses I have for sale in the classifieds, and you can feel better knowing you aren't going to die of the black lung, caused by diving compressor hoses, in 12.4 years. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom