I would like to make my own hookah setup....is it this simple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevek

Registered
Reaction score
Not one with a compressor, just one that attaches to a tank. I do a lot of shallow diving from a Boston Whaler/ Kayak and I would like to be able to keep the tank in the boat, and just hop over with a weight belt and tickle stick. Is it as easy as just getting a 50 ft hose and connecting it between the 1st and 2nd stage? Where can I get the hose?

It will not breath the same as it would as if you were on scuba... this method is known as SNUBA... no idea and don't care what the acronym means... It would breath hard because the regulator would be setting IP (hose pressure) based on surface pressure, not where you are in the water column. However, it's been done time and time again... I can see the advantage of not carrying much gear, but PLEASE have some redundant air supply.

no idea and don't care what the acronym means... .
Yes, I'm sure it would be beneath you to know what it means. :shakehead:

Snorkle + Scuba = Snuba

It would breath hard because the regulator would be setting IP (hose pressure) based on surface pressure, not where you are in the water column.
I have used it and know many others who regularly use it for hull cleaning. No difficulties whatsoever.

Yes, I'm sure it would be beneath you to know what it means. :shakehead:

Snorkle + Scuba = Snuba

I have used it and know many others who regularly use it for hull cleaning. No difficulties whatsoever.

I am not disqualifying the use of it... i just have no use for it in the diving that I do! If there is something I need to see in 30' of water or less, i am going to use my snorkel... if there is something i want to see deeper, i will use scuba... I am typically diving deep wrecks... not dragging 3 hoses from the surface with me providing 3 or more different gasses.. sorry if this offends you. If you want to walk around all day breathing through a drinking straw, be my guest.... just making a simple statement that Scuba will breath better than Snuba... and it will be proportionately better the deeper you go.

I am not disqualifying the use of it... i just have no use for it in the diving that I do! If there is something I need to see in 30' of water or less, i am going to use my snorkel... if there is something i want to see deeper, i will use scuba... I am typically diving deep wrecks... not dragging 3 hoses from the surface with me providing 3 or more different gasses.. sorry if this offends you. If you want to walk around all day breathing through a drinking straw, be my guest.... just making a simple statement that Scuba will breath better than Snuba... and it will be proportionately better the deeper you go.

If you read what was posted you might find that the OP is using the rig for a specific application and at thirty to forty feet three different gasses would indeed be overkill, and regarding breathing through a straw haven't you heard of surface supplied air at much greater depths? I am assuming that you don't know or understand the physics of how a regulator works or you wouldn't make such statements.

It would breath hard because the regulator would be setting IP (hose pressure) based on surface pressure, not where you are in the water column.

Regulators are tuned to roughly 135psi. With the first and second stages separated by 33' of water, the second stage will only be seeing 15psi less than it 'expects'. I think that's within the range of poorly maintained first stages that I've seen.

Regulators are tuned to roughly 135psi. With the first and second stages separated by 33' of water, the second stage will only be seeing 15psi less than it 'expects'. I think that's within the range of poorly maintained first stages that I've seen.

You are pretty much dead on. The difference in cracking pressure is noticable if you are really paying attention- assuming a nonbalanced second stage. I ran a bench experiment a while back just to see what the actual numbers were. I forget the exact numbers but it was something like 0.25 IWC increase for every 10psi of IP drop. Most divers would not notice a 0.5 IWC increase in cracking pressure. Add a balanced second stage or one with a cracking pressure adjustment knob and even that little bit of change can easily be resolved.

Swap the hoses and go.

For what its worth.

Here is the way we do it. We wear our scuba units so we can have use of our BC. Another advantage of wearing a scuba unit is you will have air "when" (not if) the motor conks out. In shallow water the Hookah can extend your bottom time considerably.

Only problem: The air taste like the plastic hose.

ps: Nothing to see at this dive site. This was an extended shark tooth hunt / early American artifact hunt

If you read what was posted you might find that the OP is using the rig for a specific application and at thirty to forty feet three different gasses would indeed be overkill, and regarding breathing through a straw haven't you heard of surface supplied air at much greater depths? I am assuming that you don't know or understand the physics of how a regulator works or you wouldn't make such statements.

Surface supplied diving has a tender on the surface setting the pressure in the hose, based on the depth that the diver will be at. Obviously you don't know anything about surface supplied deep diving, or you wouldn't be making such statements.

I understand perfectly how regulators work... and it is very simple, the regulator sitting at 1ata will not compensate. period. all im saying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom