I want a BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, So I am stationed in Northern Italy, I am about 3/4th of the way finished my the Divemaster course (we have an American instructor). But I have been using the same Basic (cheap) B/C for six years now and want to upgrade to a BP/wing setup.

Now, My LDS is an Italian shop and sell the DIVE SYSTEM brand BP/wing, but the are very expensive once you convert US to Euro, they run 700 Euro, almost 900.00 USD.

I am looking for a setup to run both single setup and double setup.

Also, I was offered the Tec40 class at a very good price (almost free), so Tec is not out of the question.

I know Dive Rite has some good systems, but honestly I dont know much about the BP/wings.

Could someone please point me to a good setup?

BTW, Its sometimes hard to have things shipped here , but I know leisurepro does as I have used them before.

Thanks in advance. :santa3:

:mil-usa::mil-pow-mia:

As far as BP&Wings go, you just can't beat Deep Sea Supply. The finish and design are awesome and they are relatively inexpensive. FWIW, you'll need at least two wings to go from singles to doubles. Good luck with your classes!

I like Dive Rite. My wing is a 25# singles EXP. But I don't think I'd choose that harness. I ordered the webbing and put the hardware on myself to make a simple harness. I'm sure they sell a simple Hogarthian harness. As NetDoc said, you'll need two wings if you're going to dive singles and doubles. Depending on your weighting/buoyancy, you may want to select an aluminum plate over a steel plate so you're not overly heavy with doubles.

Everyone speaks poorly of the transplate harness. I think it's wonderful. As a DM you will be expected to participate in rescue classes, and the harness has QD's on the shoulders, making it reasonable to teach in. I have 2 of them, one on an aluminum backplate, one on a SS backplate with STA for rec diving.

Really all you need is a DGX plate - AL or SS - and a simple Hogarthian harness with their hardware kit ( 1 SS buckle, 3 D rings not counting the crotch strap and the keepers. Make sure you get a crotch strap. Yes, you'll need two wings, one for single and one for doubles. Might be some discounts after the holidays.

A BP/W and Hogarthian harness kit should run you not too much past 300.00 for a single tank rig if you really scour the deals - I like Dive Gear Express (DGX) ScubaToys and Deep Sea Supply

Once you start diving a BP/W, you may wonder why you ever dived a jacket . . . .

Really all you need is a DGX plate - AL or SS - and a simple Hogarthian harness with their hardware kit ( 1 SS buckle, 3 D rings not counting the crotch strap and the keepers. Make sure you get a crotch strap. Yes, you'll need two wings, one for single and one for doubles. Might be some discounts after the holidays.

A BP/W and Hogarthian harness kit should run you not too much past 300.00 for a single tank rig if you really scour the deals - I like Dive Gear Express (DGX) ScubaToys and Deep Sea Supply

Once you start diving a BP/W, you may wonder why you ever dived a jacket . . . .

Agreed. But expect there to be some transition time. Buoyancy and trim will have to be figured out, based on your environmental protection and conditions. From my experience, I over-thought the process and ended up over-weighting myself. Now I use a steel plate with a 3mm jumpsuit and no lead at all. I feel free as a fish in the water using this kit. You'll like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom