I think we have been heard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As of today, I have two diving magazines on my counter. Both have reviews of fins. I was delighted to see that, of over 11 different models of fins reviewed, only TWO don't come with some kind of spring or stretch strap. A giant frog kick forward for divingkind!

As of today, I have two diving magazines on my counter. Both have reviews of fins. I was delighted to see that, of over 11 different models of fins reviewed, only TWO don't come with some kind of spring or stretch strap. A giant frog kick forward for divingkind!

I hope they didn't say anything positive about those evil split fins !! :D

Your right, I made our first set circa 2005 and as I recall Bougi had a booming cottage industry selling them here.

When they became available commercially they were outragous. Now if you shop around it's hard to justify the time to DIY.

I learned to dive in 1991, at the time a friend of mine gave me a set of fins. The were white Oceanic Ocean Pros. They came with spring straps. So the benefits of spring straps have been known for a long time. I still have the fins.

I'm sure the benefits have been known for a long time, but when I started diving in 2005, virtually no fins came with springs, and most dive shops didn't even carry them. Now we have lots of fins coming with them, and our LDS, which is highly averse to change, has at least three different kinds hanging on the display wall. Now, if we could just convince them that long hoses won't strangle people . . . :)

doesn't everyone know that the only real fins are jets?

as a note on topic, spring straps are all but required for diving. I have used them since my first dive.

doesn't everyone know that the only real fins are jets?

as a note on topic, spring straps are all but required for diving. I have used them since my first dive.

I've never used anything but rubber (plastic/whatever) straps. What's the big advantage to springs?

flots.

the cool factor is +15

Spring straps are perhaps one of the top 10 items of dive equipment I consider a must have.

Sometime back in the '80's Farrafins, by Farallon, came with built in spring straps, best pair of fins I ever owned.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom