I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First, let me say this is by no means a criticism of DIR diving. Last Feb I took a GUE DIR Fundies course and was disappointed for several reasons. I failed miserably but that wasnt the most disappointing part. In the course I did learn what standards I was supposed to be at before I took the course and realized I wasnt close. I also realized that I wasnt going to get instruction and learn those things in that course, which was disappointing.
True, I struggled mightily to master buoyancy and trim with the BP/W, and I always seemed to be buying more specialized gear for DIR diving. But, the real frustrating part was how incompetent I was as a DIR diver and how I could never find anyone to dive with.
However, in my efforts to become DIR, I did learn many positive things and have adopted several safety procedures that I hope to always use while diving. I spent a considerable amount of time practicing and trying to dive in environments that didnt turn me on. I cant say I benefited from all that practice but if it got me to where I am now, it was worth it.
Going back to the ocean again for the first time since last January, I remembered why I started diving and what really gets my heart racing. The color and splendor of the coral, reefs, and tremendous variety of fish and other wildlife.
Cave/cavern/spring diving is not something I like. Those 68 F waters are sub-freezing to me and I just didnt see anything that turned me on like ocean diving does.
A couple weeks ago, when back in the ocean, I wore my jacket BCD for the first time since last January. It felt strange and bulky. Doing some of the shallow dives, ones where the max depth was 15 feet, I could not help but notice how I could hover in place to watch something or take a picture. Later on the boat, I could not help but reflect how that was an impossible task with the BP/W. I wonder why but dont dwell on it, I am just happy I feel competent.
I dont know why I could never come remotely close to mastering the basic of basics for DIR diving but feel thankful for having learned so many important safety practices. I am now a mostly horizontal diver, I do pre-dive checks, I practice a skill on every dive, even if for only 3 minutes or so, I can do helicopter turns and vary my kicks, I am very streamline conscious and alleviate any drag that is unnecessary, practice gas management, and generally feel grateful for having learned many things most recreational divers are not even aware of.
Still, I realize that DIR is not for everyone and certainly not for me. I do recognize that some of the best divers in the world are DIR and will always respect them and hold a special place in my memories for those DIR divers I have had the privilege of meeting. (DIR Atlanta people that includes you).
It has been a tough journey traveling to where I didnt belong and could never fit in and back to where I am now. My quest was achieved in that I am a better diver now so it wasnt a waste.
I now only have one question. While DIR does so many correct things and I now see so many things wrong in how OW instructors teach their students diving, I wonder why there isnt a middle ground. How many of us have no interest in tech or cave diving but have interest in becoming safer, better divers? Where do we go for that? Please dont tell me Advanced open water courses or master scuba diver, we all know those dont cut it.
I know, it isnt true that if you are not DIR you are going to die. But, I also know that normal OW classes do not produce competent divers. Learning proper gas management is important, being taught to get back on the boat with 500 psi, without any concept as to how, is ridiculous.
Lastly, I would just like to add a comment regarding my LED Photon Torpedos. Man, those are great lights.

Perhaps a thread more appropriate for "Basic Scuba Discussions"?

I thought of posting under basic scuba but since the topic concerns DIR, it seemed more appropriate to place here. basic scuba diving would have no idea what I was talking about, those who have DIR training do.
Thanks for your positive comment but careful consideration finds the post belongs where it is.

Lynne started a similar thread recently:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=199365

Carribeandiver:
How many of us have no interest in tech or cave diving but have interest in becoming safer, better divers? Where do we go for that?

reasonable question. Let me ask you this, although you seem to have a soured opinion of your fundies experience or the "DIR thing" in general, you also admit to having learned a great deal in the process that has carried through. It seems like one reasonable answer to your question would be to take a class like DIRF purely for the exposure to new ideas and skills... waiting until some later point in time to decide if heading down the "DIR path" (as it were) was for you.

Another way of putting this is, perhaps the information and skills learned in fundies and the kool-aide can be separated.

it says right at the top of each page in DIR:

...This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning the DIR philosophy...

I appreciate the OP's comments. it gives me a peek at DIR from someone with my background (~)

Carribeandiver:
I now only have one question. While DIR does so many correct things and I now see so many things wrong in how OW instructors teach their students diving, I wonder why there isnt a middle ground. How many of us have no interest in tech or cave diving but have interest in becoming safer, better divers? Where do we go for that?
Right now the GUE Fundamentals class is offered for two different audiences - both rec and tech. The basic skills and philosophy are the same for both, but people who want a "tech" pass have to use "tech" equipment and demonstrate a higher level of mastery. For that matter, the real point of GUE Fundamentals is to be a workshop to expose people to good diving practices. You can learn a lot whether or not you "pass" at either the rec or tech level.

There is also a PADI class called "Essentials" that is intended to teach DIR-type skills and philosophy in a rec context, but there are only a few people offering it.

Classes of this type are few and far between because the demand is low. Most divers are in the once-a-year category. They don't worry much about their dive skills and don't feel much need to improve. If more people were willing to pay extra money to learn to dive well, more classes providing that would be offered.

WJL:
There is also a PADI class called "Essentials" that is intended to teach DIR-type skills and philosophy in a rec context, but there are only a few people offering it.
PADI? :confused:

Just a correction . . . Essentials is offered by Breakthru Diving in Monterey. It is not a PADI class and in fact, as far as I know, isn't an "agency" class at all. It is an entry-level class for Fundies-type skills, the only equipment requirements being a long hose setup and non-split fins.

Just out of curiosity, Caribbeandiver, did you keep the long hose configuration?

WJL:
Essentials is a NAUI class ... offered by a (very) limited number of NAUI instructors.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
Just out of curiosity, Caribbeandiver, did you keep the long hose configuration?
I kept the backup reg on the necklace but changed my primary reg back to the normal hose. I thought it over and the long hose did not seem necessary in open water diving.
I still am using the SPG and depth gauge/Bottom timer and non-split fins. Although, I may go back to my SmartCom, not sure at the moment.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom