I saw a double hoses used in a movie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll go you one better Nem, I have a service manual for it. :)

And I know where a couple are.....or so I have been told....gotta see if I can get a sneek dive.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I read somewhere that the movie was filmed in Spain. They used the Spanish Navy for most of the topside scenes so it it possible that Snarks were used in that diving sequence.

It was filmed mainly in Norfolk Va. The topside scenes were filmed across from the amphibious base at Little Creek. The filming was done in such a way to make it appear it was on board the naval facility.

The jumping off the bridge scene was shot on the Berkley Bridge in Norfolk Va.

What if a few of those regs were to come up missing from a supply locker? Ooops...
Not as bad as hand grenades or other stuff that gets "misplaced" and is unaccounted for.
I don't think it would be a huge national security issue if a few of them got "lost"... somehow.
After all, they are only scuba regulators.
A few of those all metal conshelfs need to come up missing too.

The military can be quite strict about missing items when it wants to be. Units often get put on lockdown when sensitive items come up missing. Like you said though, a doublehose regulator probably isn't that closely watched.

Speaking as an ex-National Guardsman, (which is about as far down the military hierarchy as it's possible to go), you had your standard gear that was issued to you and which you were accountable for, but if it were to end up damaged or missing wasn't really a big deal. Yes, you had paperwork to deal with and you may have had to pay for a replacement, but at the end of the day, nobody really gave a damn about a missing entrenching tool, (ie. shovel). Then you had gear that wasn't exactly standard issue and had some value, like binoculars. That would be a bigger deal if you lost it and you might be disciplined for it. Finally there were sensitive items like rifles, machineguns and night-vision equipment. When that turned up missing, no one went home until it was found.

Every one of those regulators will be signed for on custody cards and be serialized. Asses will hang if one is ever unaccounted for. Spare parts are almost as hard to get and are accounted for and before any get reordered the supply PO must explain why.

Well then maybe the weak link is before the U.S. Military gets them. Maybe Aqualung somehow misplaced a few before the Navy got them. Now it's Aqualungs problem.
What's the big F'ing deal anyway! They're only regulators. What with all the hush hush? What, like nobody's seen double hoses before? it's no secret.
Why doesn't Aqualung just release the stuff to the public and make a little more money in their pocket??
We got GPS, night vision goggles and other stuff from the military, we got dry suit zippers from NASA, it's not like a double hose is some brand new technology.
Why the games???
After all, we're paying for the stuff and we don't get to use it or even see it!

For what its worth, i dove double hose regulators for 20 years 10 in the navy. They are a pain in the ass. They freeflow a lot in different inclines, if you bang or drop them they malffunction and freeflow. I would have three regulators in my dive bag because they were so touchey. Hoses and check valves leaked. They inhale hard and exhale easier due to the hoses. Unlike single hose regs where in and out are at the mouthpiece.Single hose regulators are far
superior to double hose.

Sent from my DROIDX

For what its worth, i dove double hose regulators for 20 years 10 in the navy. They are a pain in the ass. They freeflow a lot in different inclines, if you bang or drop them they malffunction and freeflow. I would have three regulators in my dive bag because they were so touchey. Hoses and check valves leaked. They inhale hard and exhale easier due to the hoses. Unlike single hose regs where in and out are at the mouthpiece.Single hose regulators are far
superior to double hose.

Sent from my DROIDX

While I agree with you that single hose regs are technically superior, you've got to remember that this is the vintage forum, which means that practically everyone here, myself included, has a major hard on for double hose regulators. Kind of like classic car buffs prefer old cars even though the new ones outperform them in almost every way.

There is also one big advantage that I see to double hoses over single hoses; you can get closer to fish. Having the bubbles behind your head just seems to put a lot of the warier fish more at ease. I understand a rebreather takes this to the next level, but I'm too cheap and too chicken to dive a rebreather.

They only made about 300 Mentor. They were made around 2003 (give or take a year). They were basically hand made. As far as I know there was never any intention of going into production.

I saw a picture of a pile of Mentors and they looked like they have seen a bit of abuse. They will probably need replacement in not so distant future.

The Mentor shares the same internal first stage as a RAM, a Conshelf, and of course the Phoenix. The second stage is in some ways similar to the Trieste. It works in the same principle as a RAM, but it should be easier to adjust.

I don't agree that single hose are technically superior... mechanically they are the same... the hydrostatic difference presents a bit of a challenge to the double hose geometry, but I personally feel that there are trade offs between the two.
Then again... I have only been diving, servicing, repairing, and redesigning double hose and single hose regulators for about 40 years... maybe I will change my mind in the next 40 years. :rolleyes:

In its time double hose were considered to be good performers and rugged regulators, but the hydrostatic position of the diaphragm has always been an issue. In the last few years we have taken the performance of the vintage design to totally new levels. With modern silicone rubber parts (in particular the new diaphragms) and a number of other improvements, I feel just as comfortable with the performance of my double hose as I do with the best single hose I have ever tried.

Back
Top Bottom