I saw a double hoses used in a movie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just watched the movie "Navy SEAL's" on demand on Comcast.
It's an 80's or early 90's movie with Charlie Sheen and a few others trying to locate missles in Beirut and get them away from the terrorists.
Anyway there is a scene where they deploy from a sub underwater and to my surprise all of the team was using open circuit scuba with double hose regulators. I know it's only Hollywood but I thought it was cool none the less. They almost looked like Snark III's but who knows, maybe they were Voits. I caught a glimps of the can and it had that cone look with the indentations in it like a snark.

Last edited by a moderator:
....and they use Snarks. Kudos to Hollywood for some accuracy for a change. But isn't that also the movie where they could see people moving behind a wall in real time using infrared? Yeah, right:shakehead:

We run the BUD/s Class 224 training film in the Navy SEAL Museum where I work, so people can get an idea of what the training consists of. Class 224 would have been around 1990ish. They were using DA's at that time, and in the scuba exhibit we have Mistrals, NorthHills, and Non-Mags. They have used a lot of different DH's over the years. I don't think there is a record of every DH they ever used for training, just what was cheap and reliable, and parts available for rebuilding. So when one DH got short on parts, they would switch to another brand.

BTW, ZKY still diving the Freedom....and it's still awesome!

Last edited:
I can tell you for a fact that open circuit double hose regulators used by all Navy Divers were aqua lung Aqua Master two stage double hose regulators. I still have one on the wall that I used in the Navy for many years. Great regulators but needed a lot of maintenance. Single hose is the only way to go. The doubles do look good on the wall though.

The current double hose used by SEALs in training is the US Divers Mentor(aptly named as it is used to get them prepared for rebreathers) a regulator only available to the Navy.

The current double hose used by SEALs in training is the US Divers Mentor(aptly named as it is used to get them prepared for rebreathers) a regulator only available to the Navy.

How come we can't get it?
And do you know what it's based on, what model?

....and they use Snarks. Kudos to Hollywood for some accuracy for a change. But isn't that also the movie where they could see people moving behind a wall in real time using infrared? Yeah, right:shakehead:

HAHA!!! Gah! So tempted to comment,
Ok, well, how do I put this without getting in trouble...
Sometimes what you see on TV has a real life practical application used by the military. I wonder (snicker) if this might be one of those incidences.

The Mentor is what the SEALs allegedly use now and it was developed under military contract and therefore the design and all rights belong to the military, therefore it is not available to the public and likely never will be. However, at least one has wound up in civilian hands, Ryan has one and has posted photos at vdh some time back. It has many new features, all of which are copied in one form or another in the latest Phoenix with mushroom exhaust conversion.

I have the photos but since they are not mine I will refrain from posting them. I would love to have one but I doubt I ever do. Heck, AL does not even admit it exists and when told you have the photos that just go aw shucks, and dig at the ground with their toes and shrug their shoulder. What the problem, we gave you guys the "New Mistral" so quit your complaining. Yeah, one is an awesome piece of gear, the other is a SOS. Don't ask what that means.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom