I saw a double hoses used in a movie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to say, this IS the vintage forum where it's all about DH regs and the love of all other stuff vintage.

Sealark, if you want to come in here and try and silt the place out good luck, you'd be better off going into the DIR forum or some other specialty forum and stir it up there... with all of your 15 posts.
I think you picked the wrong forum to come in to and start a bar fight talking smack. I'm a relative newbie here, but some of these guys have more combined experience than anybody else on scubaboard.
Good luck with that.

I'm just sayin'

For what its worth, i dove double hose regulators for 20 years 10 in the navy. They are a pain in the ass. They freeflow a lot in different inclines, if you bang or drop them they malffunction and freeflow. I would have three regulators in my dive bag because they were so touchey. Hoses and check valves leaked. They inhale hard and exhale easier due to the hoses. Unlike single hose regs where in and out are at the mouthpiece.Single hose regulators are far
superior to double hose.

Sent from my DROIDX

Hmmmm, the twin hose we are using now are probably superior to your single hose and obviously superior to the units you used in the old days for you to make such a statement. Each to their own, some single hose units are worth the effort but they have so many parts, and most of those bitsy little parts are plastic, probably last a few dives I suppose, give or take.

N

I'll go you one better Nem, I have a service manual for it. :)

And I know where a couple are.....or so I have been told....gotta see if I can get a sneek dive.

Well, if one were to land in my lap I would certainly take it but I am not going to loose any sleep over it. My current Phoenix units are I am certain at least equal or close enough. At the rate I am going with non diving activities this year, lol, I may forget how to dive, probably have to take a PadI refresher course and maybe some of those PadI specialty courses so I can be cool like all the single hose newbs.

I wonder if doping works for bike racing, if I doped before diving could I hold my breath for an hour? Then I won't need scuba lessons at all? Screw'm Lance, I still like you, they are just a bunch of Nancy boys that are jealous.

N

HAHA!!! Gah! So tempted to comment,
Ok, well, how do I put this without getting in trouble...
Sometimes what you see on TV has a real life practical application used by the military. I wonder (snicker) if this might be one of those incidences.

I doubt it. Infrared is heat. The heat of your body inside a room would have to travel through the wall to be seen from the outside. I suppose if you were to lean up against a single layered wall the heat from your body would slowly warm it enough to be seen from the outside, but once you move away your heat signature would still be there on the wall until the heat dissipated. Being that most walls are not single layer, and given the laws of thermodynamics, I think it's safe to say it would take something more than simple infrared to be able to see a person's heat signature inside a room moving at real time.

If you guys get a chance to see the BUDS234 training episodes on the Discovery Channel, they were using Nemrod Snarks. That is why I said they used Snarks. I don't doubt they used whatever they could get, but I can affirmatively say they used Snarks. So, there.
Amazon.com: Navy Seals Buds Class 234 Discovery Channel: Gordon Forbes, Sean Gallagher, Kate Flemming: Movies & TV

I have never experienced any of the terrible troubles with my double hose regulators as sealark describes. I would think the Navy would have known how to maintain its regulators better than that.

I was going to say, this IS the vintage forum where it's all about DH regs and the love of all other stuff vintage.

Sealark, if you want to come in here and try and silt the place out good luck, you'd be better off going into the DIR forum or some other specialty forum and stir it up there... with all of your 15 posts.
I think you picked the wrong forum to come in to and start a bar fight talking smack. I'm a relative newbie here, but some of these guys have more combined experience than anybody else on scubaboard.
Good luck with that.

I'm just sayin'

ZKY I'm sorry if I have silted your waters I was just stating my opinions about the old double hose regulators. I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future. :mooner:

Here is some more info on the Aqualung Mentor

There is a picture there comparing it to the Phoenix Aquamaster.

ZKY I'm sorry if I have silted your waters I was just stating my opinions about the old double hose regulators. I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future. :mooner:

I'm not too offended by your prior statements as I actually agree with about half of it. I've been diving primarily with DH regs for the last year and my own experiences are that they really are harder to inhale through. It's just a matter of the diaphragm being located about 4 inches above the center of your lungs when you are in the standard horizontal swimming position. Maintenance and reliability wise however I really don't see it. Most double hose regulators are simple as a crutch. The biggest issue I have isn't an unreliable design, but simply a lack of parts. I have the same problem however with old single hoses.

I wouldn't say double hoses are either more reliable of less reliable. IMO, both types of regulator are reliable, so long as they're properly maintained. Double hose regulators are somewhat easier to maintain yourself though.

…I wouldn't say double hoses are either more reliable of less reliable. IMO, both types of regulator are reliable, so long as they're properly maintained. Double hose regulators are somewhat easier to maintain yourself though.

There are two factors in reliability. The main reason I switched to single hose in the 60s was the hoses are delicate. The “reality” of diving was demonstrated too many times making multiple dives from overloaded inflatables. Being very careful works maybe 50% of the time. The rest of the time all your gear is somewhere at the bottom of a great pile of crap as everything bounces around motoring to the next spot.

Any regulator, except maybe an early 60s tilt-valve, is reliable with maintenance. Doubles require more compared to all the single hose regulators I have used for long periods. I have an Oceanic Omega I have been monitoring for over 25 years. The IP pressure is holding and the only thing changed is a mouthpiece. It still performs as well or better than a new Atomic I recently picked up – based on bench tests rather than a ANSTI breathing machine.

I am not anti-double hose. But fairly evaluating at the characteristics of the designs is appropriate.

There are two factors in reliability. The main reason I switched to single hose in the 60s was the hoses are delicate. The “reality” of diving was demonstrated too many times making multiple dives from overloaded inflatables. Being very careful works maybe 50% of the time. The rest of the time all your gear is somewhere at the bottom of a great pile of crap as everything bounces around motoring to the next spot.

Any regulator, except maybe an early 60s tilt-valve, is reliable with maintenance. Doubles require more compared to all the single hose regulators I have used for long periods. I have an Oceanic Omega I have been monitoring for over 25 years. The IP pressure is holding and the only thing changed is a mouthpiece. It still performs as well or better than a new Atomic I recently picked up – based on bench tests rather than a ANSTI breathing machine.

I am not anti-double hose. But fairly evaluating at the characteristics of the designs is appropriate.

If course a new plastic second stage under a big pile of bouncing carp won't fair to well either. I think the biggest maintenance issue with double hoses is keeping bacterial growth out of the hoses with regular washing.
Lets admit it the actual mechanical parts and their operation is virtually identical to most of today's regulator with the advantage of having the 1st stage ambient chamber in a dry, water free area.

Big Old Pile of Mentors ........

Mentors.jpg

The one thing I do remember about them was that the Navy was complaining about the costs for the hoses, the Instructors like to cut the hoses of the trainees Al La SeaHunt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom