i said "in 3yrs i'll get a KISS"... SHOOT me now!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:
There are some things to consider. Neither unit is able to shed water in the loop effectively at this point in time. If you are doing the deeper stuff, caves etc. I would consider a unit which had the ability to dump water. I do know some type of OTS was being considered for the Sport, but I am not sure if that has materialized. They are both effective units, swim very nicely but are limited in my eyes vs.other CCR's. Feel free to PM me if you want as I dive this, as well as other units.

As per build quality, both models are comparable to each other. The pods are only a tad unprotected and a massive cave ceiling hit, or forceful squeeze through a penetration would dislodge them. However, both are not as robust as say a Meg, Cis-Lunar (not the electronics), MK 15 etc.

X

Have to agree with Mr X here, one reason for going with the Meg was its build quality and robustness. We do a lot of shore diving here in Sydney, even though care is taken all it takes is a freak wave on the rocks and there could some damage sustained.

And getting back to the counterlungs (I think thats what OTS means here), as you you are aware, the counterlungs are in the back of the unit, which does make the unit less bulky in the front.

Having them in the back does cause an increase in the WOB when you are in a reverse fin pivot position, that is you are lying flat and looking up at the surface.

This was pointed out to me by a couple of KISS divers. I tried that out for myself and found that was the case and for me it was noticeable.

Now the question is for you is, how often do you get in that position. The answer could be Never or Sometimes.

For me, as an Underwater Photographer, the answer was Probably and Sometimes and when you are carrying cameras with dual strobes, it was a factor to consider.

It isn't anyting earth shattering, but something to look at and consider.

Thank you for the responses...in some of the threads I read on rbw I don´t even understand the question, nevermind the answer...

I do cavedive (just gotten started) and wreckdiving is a definite passion of mine but I have to say I haven´t gotten a "hard" hit into anything on OC...yet...I can see there´s a definite possibility in highflow caves though...

I´ve done a few wreckdives on OC in the sub 250ft range and to be honest this is where I´d want my RB to "shine" as I want a lot more BT than the 20mins I´ve done so far at those depths (and preferably not run a gas bill that barely leaves me with the shirt on my back)...

Seems there´s still a lot to learn...

grazie42:
Thank you for the responses...in some of the threads I read on rbw I don´t even understand the question, nevermind the answer...

Seems there´s still a lot to learn...

While I occasionally view RBW, I do find the info./posts peppered with ego, inuendo lack of general etiquette & dubious expertise. In other words - there are fellows posting who are fantasy rebreather divers. If anything, the phenomenon of new "expert" rebreather diver is something to keep an eye on.

The owner of the site, the moderators give very good advice on RB world.

X

Well, I´m going to look/feel and maybe trydive a few different units in a week or two and talk to someone qualified to teach them so we´ll see...the rEvo looks like a very nice bit of kit...

I haven't seen any KISS divers chime in here so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

I dive a classic KISS, had it for 1.5 years and about 110 hours so far.
What I like about it so far: it is durable, very solid and I am not afraid to take it into wrecks and occassionally have it hit things :wink: . I haven't found the WOB to be a problem except when on the surface (vertical orientation) or on my back. Maintenance is simple and quick, being a simple design makes it easy to troubleshoot leaks that might occur (part of the training). Bailout is simple, just turn the knob, how easy can it get.

What I don't like: The displays leave something to be desired - the design has the right idea (3 totally independent meters) but they take up too much space on my arm and getting the o-rings on just right can be a pain. I have solved this problem by installing a Shearwater computer (excellent instrument) and now have the old displays as backups. The lack of a method to dump water from the loop bothers me but it hasn't been a major issue so far - keeping tight lips goes a long way! The paragon secondary breaths like a pig - looking for a way to exchange it for a Apeks instead (winter project).

Overall I would buy thie KISS again if I had to do it over. There are some interesting manual designs that have come out that bear watching, I want to see them in the market for a couple years so all the problems user discover can be identified and corrected.... But right now if you are looking for a good, easy to maintain, proven design, manual rebreather you can't go wrong with the KISS. Now you have to figure out which one to get!!

Bob :D

bobmaggi:
I haven't seen any KISS divers chime in here so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

I dive a classic KISS, had it for 1.5 years and about 110 hours so far.
What I like about it so far: it is durable, very solid and I am not afraid to take it into wrecks and occassionally have it hit things :wink: . I haven't found the WOB to be a problem except when on the surface (vertical orientation) or on my back. Maintenance is simple and quick, being a simple design makes it easy to troubleshoot leaks that might occur (part of the training). Bailout is simple, just turn the knob, how easy can it get.

What I don't like: The displays leave something to be desired - the design has the right idea (3 totally independent meters) but they take up too much space on my arm and getting the o-rings on just right can be a pain. I have solved this problem by installing a Shearwater computer (excellent instrument) and now have the old displays as backups. The lack of a method to dump water from the loop bothers me but it hasn't been a major issue so far - keeping tight lips goes a long way! The paragon secondary breaths like a pig - looking for a way to exchange it for a Apeks instead (winter project).

Overall I would buy thie KISS again if I had to do it over. There are some interesting manual designs that have come out that bear watching, I want to see them in the market for a couple years so all the problems user discover can be identified and corrected.... But right now if you are looking for a good, easy to maintain, proven design, manual rebreather you can't go wrong with the KISS. Now you have to figure out which one to get!!

Bob :D

Having hands like ET helps when you (I) clean the KISS Classic - small openings in the counterlung housing make taking the MSR Bag counterlungs on and off a total drag for me. I typically have to take off some hose connections to get in there. My wife refuses to help. She has tiny hands.

There are always some minor leaks here and there too. There are far easier rebreathers out there when it comes to teardown and maintenance - Meg, Revo etc. I do like the fact that the Classic is an easy swimming design which works well with scooters. I would also imagine the Revo with its low profile to do quite well.

I would not consider the KISS for very technical dives like extended penetration. The inability to dump water being a biggie. There is nothing like getting water in the scrubber and having your WOB increase exponentially during the dive. I've been diving one of these babies for 3 years. They are nice, but limited vs. the newer, or established crop of CCRs.

X

Back
Top Bottom