i said "in 3yrs i'll get a KISS"... SHOOT me now!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´m almost decided to get a KISS too, I´ve got some more research to do before I decide on a sport or classic then off to the shops it is...I´m leaning towards a classic but if the sport will do what I need it to, then I´ll settle for that...

scouring rbw and asking instructors questions...im still a "seeker"...

grazie42:
I´m almost decided to get a KISS too, I´ve got some more research to do before I decide on a sport or classic then off to the shops it is...I´m leaning towards a classic but if the sport will do what I need it to, then I´ll settle for that...

scouring rbw and asking instructors questions...im still a "seeker"...

Well Done, do not be afraid to try them both before you buy.

I tried the Sports and find it a very good unit. My Meg now that the trim is in a way sorted has the same feel.

AND do not be afraid to try other units as well, to satisfy in your mind that it is the unit for you. The decision can be a double edged sword.

Once you make up your mind it wiil NOT be a bad decision just as it will be a GOOD decision.

AND BTW do not let the banner ad on the left sway. AND do you know how hard it to post while it is on. :wink: :lotsalove: :rofl3:

I´ve tried the sport as well and like it. Only thing is that one of the biggest motivators for getting an RB for me is to avoid the gaslogistics associated with deeper tmx dives and the sport may not be suitable (though I know people take it way deeper than the recommended depth)...

I´ll try to withstand the lure of the add as well...

grazie42:
.....I´ll try to withstand the lure of the add as well...

DONT get me started on that ad!!!

funny thing is, since the ad ive gone off the KISS as it comes across as dumbing down a GREAT product

but but but... isn't that why its called a KISS? :D

I find I have to be careful talking trimix gas-logistics and costs around OC trimix divers, they tend to get upset when I make comments of "you're only going to have a bottom time of that?" and dang my dive cost for gas is $6 and you spend $250 and then only have 15 minutes to see the site. I suspect my unit might have a 'failure' if I keep that up.

Deep diving is one the prime reasons I switched to an RB, that and the close encounters with the critters.

scubanimal:
I find I have to be careful talking trimix gas-logistics and costs around OC trimix divers, they tend to get upset when I make comments of "you're only going to have a bottom time of that?" and dang my dive cost for gas is $6 and you spend $250 and then only have 15 minutes to see the site. I suspect my unit might have a 'failure' if I keep that up.

Deep diving is one the prime reasons I switched to an RB, that and the close encounters with the critters.
Yes, I recently spent about 120$ for the gas needed to do a 55mtr-dive and got to spend 2hrs standing in the rain watching the tanks filled and another hour going back and forth between home and the filling station. I decided then that if I was going to enjoy diving at those depths something has to change.

I´m pretty sure that I won´t save any money getting a ccr but taking the costs "up front" makes diving "deep" a saving rather than a cost and thats really what I´m looking for...

grazie42,
I am in the same dilemna now. a sport or a classic. the only real reason that most give for going with the classic is they say its built tougher than the sport. I wonder though what tough is. Offhand the only difference I see is the price and do like the classic better in terms of look and fit. Let me know what you get and your reasons :)

Axua,
If the sport can do what I need it to do, that´s what I´ll get. I like the look of the sport (and of course the price) but I don´t want to spend a bunch of money on a machine only to find out, down the road, that it won´t do what I want it to...I´ve also tried a sport (I know someone who owns one) and liked it.

The depth-limit on the sport is what´s bothering me (and scrubber size), even though I know people dive them way beyond limits, it seems a bit pointless to get a unit that is only designed for the range where OC is, IMO, relatively hassle-free...

Right now, I´m leaning heavily towards the classic but I still need to get a better feel for the way it works than I do now. I also know an instructor who teaches both so I´ll propably get a try-dive on both and have a chat with him before I make a final decision...

The rEvo is also a nice bit of kit (very streamlined) but there is something about the KISS that appeals to me...At the moment I just know enough to know that I don´t know enough...my tentative plan is to start diving sometime early next year though so I´ll propably make a decision fairly soon...

grazie42:
Axua,
If the sport can do what I need it to do, that´s what I´ll get. I like the look of the sport (and of course the price) but I don´t want to spend a bunch of money on a machine only to find out, down the road, that it won´t do what I want it to...I´ve also tried a sport (I know someone who owns one) and liked it.

The depth-limit on the sport is what´s bothering me (and scrubber size), even though I know people dive them way beyond limits, it seems a bit pointless to get a unit that is only designed for the range where OC is, IMO, relatively hassle-free...

Right now, I´m leaning heavily towards the classic but I still need to get a better feel for the way it works than I do now. I also know an instructor who teaches both so I´ll propably get a try-dive on both and have a chat with him before I make a final decision...

The rEvo is also a nice bit of kit (very streamlined) but there is something about the KISS that appeals to me...At the moment I just know enough to know that I don´t know enough...my tentative plan is to start diving sometime early next year though so I´ll propably make a decision fairly soon...

There are some things to consider. Neither unit is able to shed water in the loop effectively at this point in time. If you are doing the deeper stuff, caves etc. I would consider a unit which had the ability to dump water. I do know some type of OTS was being considered for the Sport, but I am not sure if that has materialized. They are both effective units, swim very nicely but are limited in my eyes vs.other CCR's. Feel free to PM me if you want as I dive this, as well as other units.

As per build quality, both models are comparable to each other. The pods are only a tad unprotected and a massive cave ceiling hit, or forceful squeeze through a penetration would dislodge them. However, both are not as robust as say a Meg, Cis-Lunar (not the electronics), MK 15 etc.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom