Question What should I get: GoPro or TG7 for Beginner with no Video experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plus two strobes and two video lights.

I am thinking of the new Backscatter strobe/light units, a two in one unit that's just came out.

I am thinking of the new Backscatter strobe/light units, a two in one unit that's just came out.

Nice. I'm a bit behind the times, so wasn't aware that these existed. Hopefully, they do both jobs well.

I think you've covered it already, but there must be still camera options now that do good quality video? I realise it's expensive to upgrade camera and housing, but if you're going to blow NZ$1K on a GoPro or whatever, that would be some saving.

I think you've covered it already, but there must be still camera options now that do good quality video? I realise it's expensive to upgrade camera and housing, but if you're going to blow NZ$1K on a GoPro or whatever, that would be some saving.

When I upgrade my OLY camera, it is going to be a HUGE jump for me costing lots of $$$$$ which I can't afford now.

As I read the comments above, I keep going between a GoPro on top of the current OLY camera and then to the TG7 since the TG7 is compact and can do photo with it in addition to video when I want to dive with less hassle than my OLY kit. I keep flipping back and forth now between the GoPro and TG7 :)

OK, if you want a smaller camera that can do point and shoot stills, as well as video, then go for the TG7. If you want something small that can be mounted on your bigger camera and (really) only does video, then GoPro. Maybe you need both :)

How does the video on the OLY TG6/7 compare with an action camera like in ACE Pro or GoPro 12?

Maybe you need both

This is the scary part, you are probably right :)

A GoPro on top of my OLY camera and a GoPro on top of the TG7 :)

I'm a bit behind the times, so wasn't aware that these existed. Hopefully, they do both jobs well.

I see a franken spider pyramid imaging system in your future: a GoPro on top of the TG7 ON TOP of the Olympus, plus two strobes, two floods, and two lights with macro snoots.

I only shoot video, with a GoPro9 and a couple of lights.... it doesn't look half bad for a punter like me and less that $500 total:

I see a franken spider pyramid imaging system in your future: a GoPro on top of the TG7 ON TOP of the Olympus, plus two strob

Now you're giving me ideas. You shouldn't encourage me like this, you never know when I'll stop 🤠

Unless you're going to buy a decent lighting setup or stay shallow with lots of sunlight, I think you'll be disappointed with the output of both cameras. Beyond that, you may get frustrated with the lack on manual controls on the GoPro. Not sure what the TG7 has in this respect, but I suspect more options. Benefit of the GoPro is that you can mount it on your main camera rig via a hot shoe and it's not too big. Also, they shoot in fisheye/wide angle which is great for underwater work, at least for subjects that you can get close to.

GoPro macro is a huge pain in the arse. It can be done, I've done it, but the fixed focus length makes it challenging.

I had an Olympus M4/3 camera for stills and the video output was shocking. May as well have used a potato!

Go Pro is great for anything not macro. TG6/7 is great for both photos and macro and has an easy to use white balance system.

You need lights especially on night dives lol or in dark areas such as caverns or wrecks or down dark walls.. I mount a go pro in my TG6 mount. Sometimes I use that for video while I take photos with the TG6. DIY Tray which has a flat bottom I can set down to get stable video

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom