Question What should I get: GoPro or TG7 for Beginner with no Video experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you please say this in a more "English as a second language" friendly terms please?

:)

Sure, you get a steel rod, put it in a fire until it glows with heat, then you remove said steel rod and put it in your eye. Level of uncomfortableness is similar to shooting macro with a GoPro.

Sure, you get a steel rod, put it in a fire until it glows with heat, then you remove said steel rod and put it in your eye. Level of uncomfortableness is similar to shooting macro with a GoPro.

That's so violent and very scary and painful :)

I get it and I'll never forget it hahahaha

I started shooting u/w video 15 years ago with a $1,000 budget which bought me a camcorder in an Ikelite housing, red filter, couple of 500-lumen lights. This was a modest sized rig which wasn't too difficult to travel with and produced ok videos.

I quickly graduated to a DSLR in a housing, dome port, flat port, several lenses, upgraded to a pair of 1,500-lumen lights, tray, strobe arms, etc. This was a gigantic rig that required its own carry-on sized pelican case for travel. It took a lot of work but produced excellent videos. Particularly, I liked shooting close focus wide-angle (CFWA). Total cost all in was >$5,000. Eventually sold that rig as I was raising a family and diving less.

Fast forward another 10 years...

I now shoot a GoPro 11 in the proprietary GoPro housing. I added a tray with flexi arms and a couple of 2500 lumen lights. Price <$600.

I followed Backscatter's instructional video on how to set up the GoPro for u/w shooting. It shoots videos that are every bit as good as what I was achieving with the DSLR rig.

I don't know much about the OLY rig you are considering, but I can attest that the GoPro is phenomenal.

Because I like to shoot CFWA, I am now seriously considering this upgrade which I suspect will yield even better results than my $5k DSLR rig, and all still under $1,000...

Backscatter Sharp Wide Lens Pro Package

Either way, with the camera technology today, you really can't go wrong.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Backscatter has a nice walkthrough on how to get these settings put into the quick menus where you can move between them quickly and somewhat seamlessly.
Can you post the walkthrough?

scroll down to custom presets

@BoltSnap have you decided what camera to buy?
GoPro for video.

I may get a TG in future for still photography just to have a backup for my main camera or for compactness according to circumstances. GoPro is for video until such time I know more what I am doing and I can afford to upgrade my main camera to a current high end camera.

I'll get the GoPro late this year when the new model is out. For now, I need to get new gizmos for my main camera first.

What are you planning/thinking?

GoPro for video.

What are you planning/thinking?
Right now I'm leaning toward the Insta360 Ace Pro, based on research which compares this to GoPro and the Osman DJI. Most of the research cam from YouTube. I may be wrong but who knows.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Insta360 Ace Pro, based on research which compares this to GoPro and the Osman DJI. Most of the research cam from YouTube. I may be wrong but who knows.
I may also add a tray and a couple of video lights. As I understand things, lights really bring out the color, even though the Ace Pro is well regarded for low-light situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom