I rolled the dice on a Bare 5/4 online NEED ADVICE Quick

What should I do??

• Loose 10-15 lbs in the next 2 weeks and see if that works?

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Exchange the suit for a XXL but still keep loosing weight on plan

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Spend that 300 for the Henderson and not eat for the weekend.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get out Cheese chees graters and file my body down a few inches.

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I couldn't find a store here that had one and I wanted another bare suit. I fall well within the stated XL size chart for the Velocity 5/4. Right about the middle on everything but I can't get the back zipped myself. Waste 38, height 5'11", chest 44. Weight 220. Now I have very muscular calves so I adapt there in all suits but the rest of me is just so tight I can't pull up the zipper on my own. Tomorrow night I may have some help but the clock is ticking. It was quite the buzz Kill ....I am FAT!!!! I also have a XXL in a 7mm 2 piece buts it was a little loose in places and I was a little bigger at the time. (up for sale on here now BTW) I didn't have anyone to help me because I was the only one home and I had it out of the box, stripped naked and was slipping it on before the UPS driver even started the truck to leave. (sometimes I am just a 5 year old)

Anyway, dispite the ranging size charts it seems too small for me. Has anyone else had this issue with Bare suits? I really like the quality of the suit over others and bare suits work period. L

Please rank your opinion above and provide any advice you might have below. I am diving on the 20th of Jan so I don't have much time to decide.

Anybody else have these problems? Should I send it back for an XXL that will be a little too tall or try and loose another 10 pounds in the next 2 weeks before I have to leave for The Keys? ADVICE REQIRED HERE PLEASE.

BTW: I ordered these from Larry and Joey (Scubatoys) who took great care of me and shipped the suit out FAST. Thanks guys. The will see more business from me in the future. I am forgetting how to type leisurepro.somethign.

I have worrn that same suit (5/4 Velocity XL) when I was up to 215 and had my chickenvest underneath and could always zip it myself and had outstanding freedom of movement. I probably have over 100 assorted dives on mine. But how it fits me doesn't mean squatt.

Send it back and get over to a dive shop and get fitted. Some folks have bodies that fit the modeal and some don't. Some folks of seemingly normal height and weight (whatever normal is) still need alterations or a custom suit to fit right. The human form is that varriable.

As for the Henderson in your poll, I assume you mean a hyperstretch. They are more compliant but your velocity has a lot of the same properties, though not as extreme. Read up on hyperstretch here in the forum. Universally they get acclain for comfort. They are also widely felt to be less warm and not as durable. There is no free lunch.

Look at your overall investment in scuba diving and ask yourself how much you are saving playing wetsuit roulette.

Whatever you do don't zip yourself into a suit that's too tight. If the zipper is pulling more than an inch or so of stretch from the neoprene then it's too small IMO. But don't confuse stretch with getting it on your shoulders and other wise positioned. You can best tell by zipping it, moving around some and then unziping it. If the zipper flys down on it's own like a slingshot the the suit and your chest are under too much tension.

You have less than 2 weeks to get this right, don't let us down.

Pete

You need a deficit of 3000 calories to loose 1 pound. Thats the equivalent to 16 thanksgiving dinners, 32 bags of doritos, or 4500 kudos bars to drop 15lbs. Or you could ride a bicycle for 900 miles at 15 mph to burn 45000 calories.

spectrum:
I have worrn that same suit (5/4 Velocity XL) when I was up to 215 and had my chickenvest underneath and could always zip it myself and had outstanding freedom of movement. I probably have over 100 assorted dives on mine. But how it fits me doesn't mean squatt.

Send it back and get over to a dive shop and get fitted. Some folks have bodies that fit the modeal and some don't. Some folks of seemingly normal height and weight (whatever normal is) still need alterations or a custom suit to fit right. The human form is that varriable.

As for the Henderson in your poll, I assume you mean a hyperstretch. They are more compliant but your velocity has a lot of the same properties, though not as extreme. Read up on hyperstretch here in the forum. Universally they get acclain for comfort. They are also widely felt to be less warm and not as durable. There is no free lunch.

Look at your overall investment in scuba diving and ask yourself how much you are saving playing wetsuit roulette.

Whatever you do don't zip yourself into a suit that's too tight. If the zipper is pulling more than an inch or so of stretch from the neoprene then it's too small IMO. But don't confuse stretch with getting it on your shoulders and other wise positioned. You can best tell by zipping it, moving around some and then unziping it. If the zipper flys down on it's own like a slingshot the the suit and your chest are under too much tension.

You have less than 2 weeks to get this right, don't let us down.

Pete

Thanks Pete :lol2:

I was expecting some funny answers and wanted to see what the poll results would come out as. Just to let you know.....its tied!!!

It isn't my first wetsuit and my old one (3MM) still fits at an XL and the fit chart from the manufacturer is less forgiving than Bare. Shows you how much difference there really is from one manufacturer to another. Some XL models are based upon Asians some are based upon fat Americans. I am pretty sure I lean more to the latter than the former. :)

Thanks for the support. I will let you know.

So far.....8lbs as of today. Working out at the gym everyday again which is nice to get back into the routine that I abandoned at Thanksgiving.

Noticed something funny though....All the New Years Resolution couple newbies at the YMCA. Not sure what to do or how the equipment works and walking around with that blank stare on their faces. Not a single soul helped them at all and they end up on the bike after looking at every piece of equipment and seeing the confusion and fear on their faces. I tried to help a couple on a few things but it would seem that a gym would prepare for this influx of people at this time of year and greet them appropriately. Well.....it will be interesting to see how many are still there Feb 1. but I selfishly can't wait for the gym to thin back out....

BTW cnctina.....I am working on that 900 miles. Riding, walking and Jogging. 12-15 miles a day... :)

I own a Bare velocity 5/4 (size LS/GP) wetsuit. At 193 pounds, 5' 9.5" height and average middle age build, this is one great fitting, comfortable, warm wetsuit. By the way, it is made in Thailand. I would suggest combining diet & exercise to fit the suit you bought. Good luck.

First of all, loosing weight sucks!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have lost a total of 12lbs since I originally sent this. I tried the suit on today and it fit very well and I didn't have to struggle nearly as hard as I did previously. 15 more to go and I will be really happy but at least it fits now and is comfortable.

So I am set for Largo on Friday!! Thank you for the support and the votes!

I don't know how you're doing it, that amount of weight loss is huge for the length of time you've been doing the diet and exercise, and I certainly would believe that type of diet sucks. Be careful that what you're really losing is mass and not liquids.

At any rate, be careful but remember that you need to eat and drink properly in order to enjoy your dive you've got scheduled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom