I need some advise on tank selections.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacksatlanta:
As a store manager that has been working in and around tech oriented stores for a long time, my suggestion is this; if there is any possibility of you doing any 160 foot plus decompression dives in the future, consider only the 119's for doubling. These are the smallest tanks to resonably go there with. If you can categorically say no to the deep deco stuff and you'll be a singles diver forever, then I'm with BKP drop the added weight and go with the 100's.
That makes sense from a more is better philosophy, but not everyone adheres to that philosophy in all situations. Volume issues aside, twin 119's, deco bottles, lift bags, reels, lights, etc it all adds up and it all has an impact on bouyancy and it all has to come up the ladder at the end of the dive so more may not alwyas be better.

It also helps to know a SAC rate/RMV before making decisions on how much will be enough for deep technical diving situations. In general though, with a reasonable SAC, smaller tanks will still give you a useful amount of gas for tech purposes. Even doubled steel 72's or AL80's are adequate for 20-25 minute bottom times in the 150-160 foot range with a 1/3 rd reserve.

Deco gas also comes into play in the overall planning with consideration needed both for the deco required as well as contingencies for losing one of your deco gasses. If you are using one deco gas, you need enough reserve back gas to do the much longer deco required on your backgas reserve and this rather than the 2/3rds available on the bottom can become the limiting factor on deeper dives.

If you are using two deco gases, which is much more likely and efficient on dives below 160 ft, the lost gas contingenecy plans will include either of the remaining deco gases. Depending on the volume and percentages of deco gasses carried the backgas reserve may still come into play but the volume needed will usually be much smaller than on a single deco gas dive.

In short, I would in no way say that double 100 ft tanks are not usable on dives below 160 ft. - there is a lot more to it than just back gas volume.

LP-108... Or doubles the, up. Also LP you can overfill and get a ton of gas. I am sure this is going to start an arugment.

One thing nobody has mentioned here in regards to tank selection is gas matching, I'm a smaller guy with really good air consumption and as was mentioned yes I can do deep tech deco dive to 160+ on twin lp77's and as was mentioned I certainly prefer todo that when i can because less is better. However, more often than not my buddies are not 5'9" 160 and in decent shape with a SAC of .25-.35 cfm but instead are 5'10" 250+ and maybe not so in shape with much higher SAC rates. Sure I can do the dives on small tanks but my buddies can't and if we have to gas match, guess what my small tanks make for very short dives for both of us. I carry larger tanks sometimes not to meet my needs but to meet my buddies needs, and yes I could look for new buddies but I dive with a lot of different buddies in differing situations so I chose to go with the max I could comfotably and "safely" handle as opposed to choosing the minimum that fit my needs only.

Back
Top Bottom