I need some advise on tank selections.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I don't intend this as a thread hijack, hopefully these questions will help the OP also.

Can someone help me understand the pros and cons of the hp100 and the hp 119 in relation to each other?

I understand that the hp100 is 7.25" and the hp119 is 8". What does that affect?

I also know that the hp119 is about 9lbs heavier.

Since they are usually the same price, would it generally not be best to just get the hp119? That is if you dont mind carrying the extra weight.

I'm a newb so any help is appreciated. Oh I'm 6ft and 235lbs (Losing weight right now though) if that helps with answers.

100:119 = ~ 20 cu. ft. of gas differential

100 = 7.25" Dia.
119 = 8.00" Dia.

100:119 - Heights are roughly the same

100 = 32# empty
119 = 39# empty

Buoyancy
100 = -1# neg empty, -9# neg full
119 = -3# neg empty, -12# neg full

Prices are generally the same for each tank.

That's bout all I can tell ya.

the K

Unless you have a compelling reason to need the extra 19 cu ft., why carry around the extra weight of the HP119? (It adds up...).

As a store manager that has been working in and around tech oriented stores for a long time, my suggestion is this; if there is any possibility of you doing any 160 foot plus decompression dives in the future, consider only the 119's for doubling. These are the smallest tanks to resonably go there with. If you can categorically say no to the deep deco stuff and you'll be a singles diver forever, then I'm with BKP drop the added weight and go with the 100's.

I am about the same size and recently decided to double up with two old steel 72's. These give me enough gas to dive NDL to 130'-140' and only weigh 58# combined empty. Later if I decide to go technical I plan to go with larger steel tanks such as LP95's. With good air consumption the 72's can be used individually for single shallow dives later. There are new LP77's out now that are about the same size as the old 72's also.

jacksatlanta:
As a store manager that has been working in and around tech oriented stores for a long time, my suggestion is this; if there is any possibility of you doing any 160 foot plus decompression dives in the future, consider only the 119's for doubling. These are the smallest tanks to resonably go there with. If you can categorically say no to the deep deco stuff and you'll be a singles diver forever, then I'm with BKP drop the added weight and go with the 100's.

Twin 119's for doubling deeper than 160'? That's nuts. He's not a big guy. We dove twin 80's and 72's for years to 230'. Twin 100's are more than enough air, lighter and easier to move around with in the water. Never haul more than you need, keep it simple.

I am now diving 250+ on twin 19's-I love my rebreather!

royalediver:
Twin 119's for doubling deeper than 160'? That's nuts. He's not a big guy. We dove twin 80's and 72's for years to 230'. Twin 100's are more than enough air, lighter and easier to move around with in the water. Never haul more than you need, keep it simple.

I am now diving 250+ on twin 19's-I love my rebreather!

He's not a big guy???? 235# is big by my standards. Certainly not the 275-350, or so that is becoming way too common. But, still big. Depending on muscle mass he may have lots of body that needs oxygen. I know some guys here who are in that weight class and have 10-15% body fat. No matter how you cut it those guys have high SAC rates and need to carry lots of gas.

So, I would stop way short of saying "That's nuts." Between muscle mass and general prefereince large tanks may be the preferred thing.

ArcticDiver:
He's not a big guy???? 235# is big by my standards. Certainly not the 275-350, or so that is becoming way too common...
I think he's talking about the OP: 5'6", 155lbs....

BKP:
I think he's talking about the OP: 5'6", 155lbs....

It seemed to me it was a follow on to Deoje's post.

In any event, as I've posted, the diver's size and weight are secondary considerations. The key is: Can you handle the tanks?

Money isn't the issue. When amortized over a diver's active life none of the tanks are very much apart in cost. Plus, the true cost isn't initial purchase price. It is initial purchase price minus resale price.

If your considering doubling the worthington tanks in the future check into their modular valves...I think it is cheaper to upgrade to them at the initial purchase of the tank rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom