I need moral support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are going to do great. Have faith.

Non-GUE...Full cave class...
First dive in devils eye (high flow for those unfamiliar with it), retrieving the line on the way out. Our instructor had told us in the briefing that it would be a good idea to be a bit negative on the exit, specially while reeling in the line (which is what I was doing)...

Anyway...I´m reeling in line focusing on staying neutral and keeping an eye on both the instructor and my team. That´s when I "clear" the slope, get caught in the full force of the flow and find myself hurling towards the exit.

I manage to stop my ascent in the "chimney", upside down, with about 3 feet of line (which somehow wrapped around my manifold) and a fair amount of positive bouyancy trapped in both DS and wing with a death-grip on the sides of the the chimney and my reel. I end up handing my reel to no2 and manage to vent both my wing and DS. The whole time I keep thinking "I´m sure my instructor is LHAO" (I did giggle a bit myself)...

My instructor was british...his only comment during the debrief about the whole thing was "that was an interesting way to ascend..."

Thanks, everybody -- Laughter is a good antidote for nerves!

Doing a bag shoot in a class and manage to do a halfway decent job of it. Bag goes up, I wind up the extra slack and clip the line off to the spool. Then I let the spool go to hang in front of me, all proud and stuff. The spool then immediatly proceeds to zip up and out of sight. I didnt notice that the only 10 feet of line has played out and the instructor held the bag above me. So there I was with the perfect 10 foot ascent line..... too bad I was at 30 feet.

The other exciting time was being OOG and on my buddies long hose. Out comes the air gun and my buddy has a right post problem. My eyes got real big as I saw him reach back to grab the valve. Give him credit though, he didnt close it. :14:

I cringe when I think how badly I did in my first shot at Fundies last fall, all the more reason to be able to go back and get a pass in the future.

Where to even begin?

DIR-F -- two uncontrolled ascents to the surface as soon as I took a reg out of my mouth. Later managed to "blame" it on a runaway inflator, but still (and the resulting shenanigans while the assistant instructor who shall remain nameless but is now a GUE instructor tried to find the rest of the team will not be mentioned here :)

Somehow managed to pass that one.

Tech-1

Dive 1: tying the reel off not to the perfectly acceptable metal auger drilled into the seabed, OR the upline going to a buoy at the surface, but a 4 foot piece of line with (of all things) a thermometer on it!

Tossing away the reel as soon as a buddy went OOA, causing a (instructor-aided) violent silt-out and lost line.

Losing control of my buddy on unresponsive diver drill and me going off one way and him another.

One guy out of mask, one with a valve failure, one goes OOA (I think) and having all three divers chained together. Worse: Even on the dive after the fact, not getting that this was a "bad idea" (tm) until Gideon patiently explained it to us.

Blowing through many stops.

Buddy had a deco bottle stolen (no way anyone could steal anything from me though I thought -- until cave1 class0

Buddy was reeling in the bag but never clipped it off, I was out of mask. Just to show him, Gideon put our 3rd member OOM too -- resulting CF was NOT pretty.

Somehow passed this one

cave 1

Where to begin (did NOT pass this one!)

Going in completely wrong side of cave.

Being told to tie off to a tree in carwash, and having no idea where it is (except I was holding it)

Getting into a cave only to discover (when I needed to go for it) that Danny had somehow stolen a backup light

Dropping the reel after an OOA without locking it "That took me quite some time to de-tangle" said Danny as he surfaced with a perfectly fine reel.

Getting hopelessly lost 3x in carwash, and having to have Danny show us the way with his light.

knocking off a mainline tie in satans silt hole.

Many many team ordering issues.

Hideous line work (many missed ties, line traps)

does the list ever end?

Oh, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to read!

Blowing through many stops.

Oh, thank God, it happens to somebody else!

That's it. I have read enough. Never again any negative posts from me. I just wonder, where were all you fine people when I was taking my class? I needed someone else to screw up sometime so I wasnt the sole entertainment.

HBDiveGirl:
His mask was flooding as he laughed uncontrollably at MY HID LIGHT HEAD, CLIPPED OFF, not to the D-ring, but TO THE RUBBER CHICKEN, WHOSE NECK IS NOW STRETCHED TO ABOUT 4 INCHES OF VERY THIN YELLOW RUBBER!

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
OMG! you just made my day, that was the best story I have heard. I'm in tears.:rofl3:

Cheers :D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom