I need help finding mako compressor part no longer made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bartman27

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new here - i have a 1983 mako compressor made for the military MFR#KA7-DA ( the entire compressor set up MFR is DES-1100) it is a 5000psi 6 cfm breathing air compressor run by a 5 hp single phase 220v motor - originally it was a diesel motor but was replaced - i know they were made until 1986 just for the military - i also have the tech manual and part break down manual - i cant find parts anywhere and Mako does not support them any longer - can anyone help me find someone that has part for the unit - i need new seals or rebuilt ones - and a few minor parts -

thanks so much

bartman27 - padi rescue/nitrox - 1000+ dives nj currently with www.gypsyblooddiving.com

L-Factors New Parts division will most likely have what you need. 800-338-5493. Ask for Gabe. We have dealers all over the world.

L-Factors New Parts division will most likely have what you need. 800-338-5493. Ask for Gabe. We have dealers all over the world.

thanks so much - this is crazy - the unit is not that old - the unit is still working fine with the exception of it leaking air back into the 1st stage head - the unit is very durable and has served trouble free fore many years - i will let you know as soon as i get off the phone with them

thanks again

bartman27

Have you actually gone to a Mako dealer for parts? I read the equipment manual and those parts look suspiciously like 5405 parts. Many of which interchange with other Mako models, and which were made by Reavell in the UK. The parts breakdown in the book shows individual part numbers, but you need a set of second stage valves and first stage valves. You might as well rebuild all of the valves while you are at it.

Is the first stage safety popping off, or is the first stage pressure too high. Why do you say that air is leaking back into the first stage? What are your stage pressures?

yes they contacted the mako dealer directly - mako states they only made a limited number of units and then stopped making them - parts are no longer available - i compressor is in a compressor shop and now sitting - i suspect like yourself there must be parts out there - i just have not it on the person who has the info -

prior to recent issues the unit would pump to 4500+ with no issues - issues started with a sudden fracture of the sightglass for the oil - the site glass developed a hair line crack - oil began to come out and i shut it right down - unit did not run out of oil - i was right there when it happened - i spoke to compressor rep i know from diving, gave him the sight glass, and he was able to get me two replacements - i installed it with no issues - very easy to slide over the o rings - while working on unit i noticed a few fitting that were sweating oil. i also tightened these fittings - the unit never lost oil until then - i then started the unit - it went right to 4500+ and then the 2nd stage pressure relief valve in the center of the second stage head began to pop off - this had never happen before and so i shut it right down - when i went to restart the single phase electric motor 5 hp, the unit tried to turn over but seemed to be air bound and could not turn over - after i let the unit depressurize for 5 minutes it would start right back up but then the pressure relief valve would begin to pop - at that point i shut it down and packed it up to the shop - i suspect that the valves are leaking air back into the head before it creating the air bound situation and that the crank case may becoming pressurized and thats what cracked the sight glass in the first place - i am not an expert any help would be appreciated - i dont understand why if Mako made these unit for several years they say there are no parts out there - i am willing to spend the money to get this fixed - you mentioned rebuilding the valves - how can i have this done and by who - i am all for the repair - thanks again for your time - i have worked with industral pumps and gas flows in the past but this unit is new to me - this forum is great!!!!!

Bartman27

the mako 5405 sure does look similar

Does the compressor have any kind of final shut-off valve? Is it possibly shut? Is it possible that the final separator is plugged up? When was the last time it was changed/cleaned? I'm betting that the third stage discharge valve has failed somehow.

If you can find the kits, you can rebuild the valves yourself if you have any mechanical ability at all. Your problem is not the first or second stage valves, however, but the third stage discharge valve. It's carboned up (I assume) and plugged or stuck.

Remove the 6 bolts that hold the third stage head on the compressor. Remove the third stage head, and you will see that the head is held together with 2 little allen head cap screws. Don't re-use these parts. You really really need a kit with the proper o-rings (they're metric, and damned hard to find), new allen head cap screws, and of course the valves and springs.

Your local dealer is Continental Fire and Safety in Trenton. Take the head into them and see if they are the 5405 parts. If so, get a kit from them or have them rebuild the head for you. It's really no big deal, and only takes 1/2 hour if you don't run into any trouble.

the compressor was pumping up a storage bottle when it started acting up - as for the unit being carboned up i dont know -but the filter is changed regularly - i have beenlooking hard at the specs and the 5405 parts look about right - i want to replace all the valves - hopefully the shop can move this along for me thanks again
bm

the compressor was pumping up a storage bottle when it started acting up - as for the unit being carboned up i dont know -but the filter is changed regularly - i have been looking hard at the specs and the 5405 parts look about right - i want to replace all the valves - hopefully the shop can move this along for me thanks again
bm

Not the filter, the final separator. The final separator is the short gold anodized canister with the relief valve on top, not the tall one with the flat lid. I change the filter in that one every 250 hours and wash it every 125 hours. Most folks never change it at all.

Not the filter, the final separator. The final separator is the short gold anodized canister with the relief valve on top, not the tall one with the flat lid. I change the filter in that one every 250 hours and wash it every 125 hours. Most folks never change it at all.

i know what part you are talking about - i have never taken it apart but i do drain the water out of it often - there is very very little in it but there is a stop cock on the bottom so i crack it and out comes a mist of water - theres a filter in there? - wow - i am learning

thanxs
bm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom