Compressor clunking / rattling while running: need diagnostic / repair help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fear of compressor repair is *very* real, and very paralyzing... But I've overcome inertia, and continued progress on my compressor.

After reviewing the Lawrence Factor repair videos a couple dozen times, and reviewing a half-dozen Bauer documents, I have finally started to reassemble things. In putting the second stage back together, I found that the spring washer was nowhere to be found. I have no idea how that happened -- I thought I was *so* careful to manage all the parts... So had to get that ordered and delivered.

Once I had the parts... second and third stage valves went in without an issue -- or really anything of note. I used the Bauer Workshop Manual reference for torque values, and an automatic center punch to peen the valve as instructed. It took a few punches to give me a mark comparable to the ones already on the head, but it was simple and safe.

One of the excuses that has been keeping me from moving forward with reassembly was that I don't have a great way of cleaning up the surface on the compressor that the heads mount to: I don't want greasy cleaning water on the floor, and with 5 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degree or so highs, washing anything outside does not really appeal... but I did what I could. Fortunately, the actual mating surfaces were pretty clean, so I just did what I could and moved forward.

Mounting the heads was also straightforward: once again, torque values from the Bauer Workshop Manual. A gentle rotation of the flywheel gave me a happy-sounding wheeze from both stages, which I'm taking as a good sign. Two down, one to go.

I then turned to the first stage. Unfortunately, when I picked it up, I was reminded that I hadn't cleaned it yet... I *had* worked quite hard on the reed valve, but not the rather large valve head. Also, I was reminded that I had cut the hose to the first stage gauge (it was easier than taking the panel off to get to the fitting behind the head), and had to get that replaced. So off to the Parker Store... (Should have worked a little harder to get it off: $42 for a 14" hose... :( ) And spent the afternoon cleaning up the head. The inside of the head was reasonably clean, and the sealing surface wasn't bad, but the outside... It was caked in greasy oil. I have no idea why, but it was. Mostly on the underside. So I spent the afternoon to get it clean -- clean enough, anyway. Dawn, hot water and nylon brushes/pipe brushes.

Assembly is straightforward. Put the "paper" gasket on the head and put the reed valve on next: side marked TOP toward the head (which will be TOP when mounted to the compressor :) ), with the four large reed holes in the intake side of the head (as opposed to the long reed outlets with the row of holes on either side, which go into the output side); then the other gasket, and put it on the compressor.

Now, what about gasket sealant? Both the Lawrence Factor video *and* the Bauer Workshop Manual specify gasket sealant. The video just says 'gasket sealer or silicone sealant, making sure to use the high-temperature version'; the Bauer Workshop Manual (Compressor Blocks K100 to K28, January, 2003, page 19) states paper gaskets should use Loctite FAG2 (now Loctite 5922). Despite that, there was a great deal of pearl-clutching here on SB when I suggested using gasket sealant (based on a poster's recommendation, before I found the reference material). So, I'm going to move forward without it. The video implies that the main purpose is to hold the gaskets in place as they're put onto the compressor, so I just had to be careful when I assemble everything. I used the bolts as pilots to make sure everything was lined up, and carefully assembled the stack on the compressor. Once again, torqued the bolts to spec.

So, now I've got everything bolted together. A few turns of the flywheel and I've got louder wheezing from the first stage as well. One point I'm nervous about: I put my palm over the intake and turned the flywheel and don't feel any suction. I don't know how valid that test is: there's a decent suction when the compressor is running, of course, but that's also turning at many hundreds o RPM, so not feeling any suction with a single rotation may not be that unusual. I'm hoping, anyway.

I'm out of time for today. I've got a couple of detail things to follow up on (I need to reconnect the electrical wires for the high pressure shutoff, for example), and then I want to go back over all of the fittings and connections and make sure they're OK. Then hopefully I can press the big green button and see what happens.

So, progress. I've got plans for tomorrow that will chew up much of my time, and then it's gonna be in the 20's again for a while. So not sure when I'm going to take that next step. Which means if there's something I've missed, you've got time to tell me before I blow things up! :)

Congrats... I can feel the anxiety just reading it. It's always fun doing stuff like that, but man do I doubt my abilities. Excited to see how this turns out (hopefully for the best).

The fear of compressor repair is *very* real, and very paralyzing... But I've overcome inertia, and continued progress on my compressor.

After reviewing the Lawrence Factor repair videos a couple dozen times, and reviewing a half-dozen Bauer documents, I have finally started to reassemble things. In putting the second stage back together, I found that the spring washer was nowhere to be found. I have no idea how that happened -- I thought I was *so* careful to manage all the parts... So had to get that ordered and delivered.

Once I had the parts... second and third stage valves went in without an issue -- or really anything of note. I used the Bauer Workshop Manual reference for torque values, and an automatic center punch to peen the valve as instructed. It took a few punches to give me a mark comparable to the ones already on the head, but it was simple and safe.

One of the excuses that has been keeping me from moving forward with reassembly was that I don't have a great way of cleaning up the surface on the compressor that the heads mount to: I don't want greasy cleaning water on the floor, and with 5 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degree or so highs, washing anything outside does not really appeal... but I did what I could. Fortunately, the actual mating surfaces were pretty clean, so I just did what I could and moved forward.

Mounting the heads was also straightforward: once again, torque values from the Bauer Workshop Manual. A gentle rotation of the flywheel gave me a happy-sounding wheeze from both stages, which I'm taking as a good sign. Two down, one to go.

I then turned to the first stage. Unfortunately, when I picked it up, I was reminded that I hadn't cleaned it yet... I *had* worked quite hard on the reed valve, but not the rather large valve head. Also, I was reminded that I had cut the hose to the first stage gauge (it was easier than taking the panel off to get to the fitting behind the head), and had to get that replaced. So off to the Parker Store... (Should have worked a little harder to get it off: $42 for a 14" hose... :( ) And spent the afternoon cleaning up the head. The inside of the head was reasonably clean, and the sealing surface wasn't bad, but the outside... It was caked in greasy oil. I have no idea why, but it was. Mostly on the underside. So I spent the afternoon to get it clean -- clean enough, anyway. Dawn, hot water and nylon brushes/pipe brushes.

Assembly is straightforward. Put the "paper" gasket on the head and put the reed valve on next: side marked TOP toward the head (which will be TOP when mounted to the compressor :) ), with the four large reed holes in the intake side of the head (as opposed to the long reed outlets with the row of holes on either side, which go into the output side); then the other gasket, and put it on the compressor.

Now, what about gasket sealant? Both the Lawrence Factor video *and* the Bauer Workshop Manual specify gasket sealant. The video just says 'gasket sealer or silicone sealant, making sure to use the high-temperature version'; the Bauer Workshop Manual (Compressor Blocks K100 to K28, January, 2003, page 19) states paper gaskets should use Loctite FAG2 (now Loctite 5922). Despite that, there was a great deal of pearl-clutching here on SB when I suggested using gasket sealant (based on a poster's recommendation, before I found the reference material). So, I'm going to move forward without it. The video implies that the main purpose is to hold the gaskets in place as they're put onto the compressor, so I just had to be careful when I assemble everything. I used the bolts as pilots to make sure everything was lined up, and carefully assembled the stack on the compressor. Once again, torqued the bolts to spec.

So, now I've got everything bolted together. A few turns of the flywheel and I've got louder wheezing from the first stage as well. One point I'm nervous about: I put my palm over the intake and turned the flywheel and don't feel any suction. I don't know how valid that test is: there's a decent suction when the compressor is running, of course, but that's also turning at many hundreds o RPM, so not feeling any suction with a single rotation may not be that unusual. I'm hoping, anyway.

I'm out of time for today. I've got a couple of detail things to follow up on (I need to reconnect the electrical wires for the high pressure shutoff, for example), and then I want to go back over all of the fittings and connections and make sure they're OK. Then hopefully I can press the big green button and see what happens.

So, progress. I've got plans for tomorrow that will chew up much of my time, and then it's gonna be in the 20's again for a while. So not sure when I'm going to take that next step. Which means if there's something I've missed, you've got time to tell me before I blow things up! :)
Sounds like you have it sorted. Let me know if you want a hand when I get home.

They're not paper gaskets

58144-11x11x1-0.005.jpg
58262-14x14x1-0.005.jpg

Chief!

I have put it off long enough: the day of reckoning has come.

First, more Amazon orders: I was out of the male half of 14ga insulated spade QD wire connectors; plus I had intended on replacing the belt, but when I looked in the beginning I couldn't find a replacement. I knew it had to be a standard belt, so I knew I was measuring something wrong. Finally dug out a cloth measuring tape and sure enough, using the right measurement I found the replacement no problem (A75 for those keeping score at home). One benefit of the replacement belt: it was tighter than the old one and put the tension back into spec, rather than trying to move (and align) the motor to take up the slack on the old belt. I'll take the victories where I can get them in this process! :)

So, now the compressor is *fully* assembled. I had drained the oil in the process (looking for metal), so time to fill it up. Following rjack321's suggestion, I flushed some new oil through the compressor, then filled it with 60oz of new "Poseidon" (no doubt Chemlube) 751. After double- and triple-checking everything, I think I'm ready for the Big Test.

But it's 17 degrees, and Bauer does not recommend running compressors below 5C without a heater, and it's 9 PM and now is not the right time. Checking the weather, it seems that in 2 days it will be 40 degrees. So Wednesday it is.

Fast forward two days, and now it's Wednesday morning and 41 degrees and no more excuses. Time to press the button. I open the condensate drain valves, open the output (which is connected to nothing at the moment), check the oil one last time, plug it in and... press. After 4 seconds of loud rattle (the floating third stage), it settles down to... normal compressor sounds. I close the drains. Normal compressor sounds. I start to close down the output valve. More of the same. I leave the output cracked and let it run up to 2000PSI (where the priority valve would keep it): Still running great. In fact, if I had to say anything, it might actually be a touch *quieter* than it had been -- or maybe that's just my imagination. So far, so good.

I let it run at 2000 for a few minutes, then close the output a bit and run it up to 3000 PSI. At that point, I think I start to hear a change in the sound. (This is also something I noticed when I would run it in the past). I leave it there for couple of minutes and decide to let it run up to shutoff pressure (4400). The sound continues to change a bit as I run it up to 4400, when it shuts itself off very nicely. The first thing I notice when it stops is... nothing. It's dead silent. That's new. In the past, there was always the sound of a slight hiss (more like a sigh, really), and the compressor would slowly lose pressure. When I would come back the next day, the gauges would all be at zero. But this time, no sound of air movement -- no sound of anything.

So I took a picture of the pressure gauge and walked away. I'm writing this now just to keep myself busy so I don't mess with anything: I want to leave it for an hour or so and see what happens.

I ended up doing some other cleanup work around the fill station: a couple of items that were only temporarily attached to my filter board are now permanent, I put the side panels back on the compressor, stuff like that. Now that I've killed some time, it's back to the compressor. Sadly, this doesn't seem to have stopped the gas from leaking: after a couple of hours, it's down about 1000 PSI. Oh well. But let's get back to testing the machine.

I had only run it for about 10 minutes or so initially. Now, it's time to run it for a while and see what it's doing. I reconnect my filter board and connect the bank (with the bottles closed at the moment) and left the final output open. I opened the valve at the compressor and equalized everything, which brought the final output to about 1500 or so PSI, lower than the priority valve. Check the oil (it's the same) and press the button. It starts up like I expect. I hit the drains and let it go. Priority valve comes up to pressure and gas comes out the output. I let it run like that for several minutes, again just trying to make sure everything is going to work as I expect. Everything seems -- and sounds -- normal. So, let's now measure the output and make sure it's working as it should. I used one of my air bank bottles: it was at 2800 PSI or so to start. I opened it up and started a stopwatch when it exactly hit 3000 PSI. I let it run, hitting the drains twice while it filled. When it hit exactly 4000 PSI, I checked the time on the stopwatch: 15:35. A little math (444 cu ft / 4500 PSI * 1000 PSI / 15.5 minutes) shows it filled at a rate of 6.3 CFM. And that's exactly what it *should* show!

I went ahead and filled a couple more air bank bottles. Once they were full, I decided to test the temperature cutoff switch (which I had disconnected and rewired as part of the tear-down and assembly) by disconnecting one of the leads. Sure enough, the compressor immediately stopped. Perfect. (Maybe next time I'll grab a heat gun and see if I can get it to shut down due to temperature as it should.)

So, I'm considering this a success.

Now, the broader question: did I actually *fix* anything? I don't know. I know that for the majority of the run the compressor sounded exactly like it was supposed to. However, there was a bit where I thought the rattle might have been present. I managed to get it into a bit of video, which is included below -- listen for it at the 6-12 second point. I was quite a bit worried about it at the time. I listened very carefully and thought I might have heard it once or twice more, but I am pretty sure that I did *not* hear it during the 40 or so minutes I was filling the bank bottles. During that time, the compressor did not go below 3000 PSI, and the gauges were at 2600 in the video. So I'll pay attention to that the next time when the pressure is lower.

But I'm not nearly as worried about it as I was. When I came back in to review my photos and videos, I compared them to the original video I took (the one in the first post of this thread). The difference was *NOTICEABLE*. That first video is a *rattle*, the second one... not so much. And it did not seem to return during the last 40 minutes of running. So, for now anyway, my compressor seems to be OK.

(Wait a minute: did ScubaBoard eliminate the ability to upload videos? It won't let me... Sadly, I'm out of time, so I'll add it to a ZIP and deal with it later.) ETA: Despite @Miyaru 's comment below, you *can* upload a video to SB just fine -- see the first post in this thread! You just can't upload it directly into a comment, and I can't remember what I did to embed it last time. For now, I used "Media" in the top menu bar to upload the video, then copied the link below.

Oh, and a special shout out to @Tracy for much advice and moral support. I sent him numerous text messages and photos along the way, and it was extremely helpful to receive his feedback and encouragement.

WOW; what a journey. Congratulations @tmassey.

Apart from being successful in (re)building a compressor, you're also an entertaining storyteller. Awesome job!

(Wait a minute: did ScubaBoard eliminate the ability to upload videos? It won't let me... Sadly, I'm out of time, so I'll add it to a ZIP and deal with it later.)
You can wait a minute, an hour, a day, a month, even until the end of the pandemic, but video uploads won't come. And they were never possible in the past. Upload to youtube and link/embed here.

Apart from being successful in (re)building a compressor, you're also an entertaining storyteller. Awesome job!

Thank you. I'm glad it wasn't a total waste of your time. My posts are only 15% for other people. I *did* need help with this, but I didn't need to write 10,000 characters to get that help. 50% of it is simply therapy by writing, and 35% of it is detailed narrative so that I'll know exactly what I did for next time. I can't tell you how many times I refer back to old posts before I do something. (I also find this invaluable in my %DAY_JOB% as well: can't tell you how many times I need to redo something I did months or even *years* before, and it is beyond comforting to have my detailed notes, though those aren't nearly as much narrative.)

You can wait a minute, an hour, a day, a month, even until the end of the pandemic, but video uploads won't come. And they were never possible in the past. Upload to youtube and link/embed here.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that I very much *did* upload a video to SB. You're probably right that I did not upload it directly into the post, but I *did* upload it to SB and embed it into my post. I did (what I thought was) the same thing in post 45, but it didn't create the nice embedded player part. No matter: as long as it's just a click or so away and not trapped in a ZIP (or sucked into the massive surveillance state called YouTube...).

I just wanted to say "awesome and congrats"!! I know nothing about compressors and have been following your saga the whole time. I found it fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom