Compressor clunking / rattling while running: need diagnostic / repair help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh happy day! :)

I had been keeping an eye on the weather and saw that it was supposed to be 45 degrees today, so I decided that that would be the day that I would fire up my compressor again and let it run full-up Nitrox and see how she's doing.

Seeing as I had a few days to wait, and in addition I had something like 16 tanks sitting in my garage (which is not where my compressor is), I finally ran steel tubing from my compressor to the front of my garage -- no more dragging tanks around just to fill them! So today, got the compressor prepped, I hooked up a set of tanks in my garage, and hit the button. The tanks I started with were at 1200 PSI, so the compressor spent a bit of time at 2000 (at the PMV pressure), then built up all the way to 4200 PSI. No rattle, no clunks, nothing but the rhythmic purr of a well-tuned compressor. OK, it's quite a bit louder than a purr, but it was steady and regular, which is what I cared most about! :)

I ran it for just over 2 hours today. I filled two sets of doubles, and brought up one of my bank bottles to full pressure. No variation in the sound throughout. From my previous run, I thought there might have been a bit of an issue between 2000 and 3000 PSI, but I ran it through that area three times today and there was no change. So I think I'm ready to call this sorted.

I've also decided to send my auto-drain off to Vermont to get repaired -- I'll update that thread with more details. If I can get that back in place, the compressor will be better than it's ever been since I've owned it.

Once again, thank you all very much for your help! I really appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom