I need a Texas road trip.....where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Lake Travis yet ! It pretty nasty at the moment but should clear up in a month or so. One option might be to sign up for a Flower Gardens trip and dive Travis before/after/instead of if the FG gets cancelled.

I'm all for diving in travis. :) .. just need to have some buddies go down with me .. or meet some people there. it's a 8 - 9 hour drive from my house to austin.

I've heard good things about Travis. I just don't have a buddy. I always travel with family, but usually leave them at the hotel when I dive. I'll be searching for groups to join up with.

scubapro50:

This sounds really cool. I'll deffinately have to check it out! Thanks.
Jo

Travis is better than dry skin, but hardky worth an 8 hour drive and hotel. I don't see it as worth a 1.5 hour drive when I have local mud holes (Belton & Stillhouse) in my back yard. But as a backup or additional stop from a FGB, Gulf Coast, or even the Comal or San Marcos; it would be OK.

If you doing a spirng break roadtrip you have plenty of time to drive to some salt water. You can drive to South Padre in about 12 hours and the Sea of Cortez in 15. Or you can go to Freeport and head out for the gardens or rigs.

awap:
Travis is better than dry skin, but hardky worth an 8 hour drive and hotel. I don't see it as worth a 1.5 hour drive when I have local mud holes (Belton & Stillhouse) in my back yard. But as a backup or additional stop from a FGB, Gulf Coast, or even the Comal or San Marcos; it would be OK.
Well, I am only 10 min from WP on travis, and while is never that bad, and usually pretty good, if you don't have a boat then diving travis gets pretty routine. With a boat and a nice bluewater dive every 12-24 months to keep ya addicted to tank air, it is really nice to have close by. If I am in town, I am almost always ready for a dive, unless having gear issues. But current self employment things make schedule erratic, and am hoping to have a new real job soon that may have me traveling even more than current contract work. But if anyone coming thru austin and buddyless, pm me and check, love to actually meet SB'rs in person and more dive buddies is always better.

Mack Diver:
Aquarina Springs in San Marcos. The water is 72 year round. It costs $25.00 per day entry fee and you have to get permission to enter. You can arrange it with local dive shops. I know Oak Hill Scuba can get people in there.

As an option, you can just dive the San Marcos river. The down side is the 12' depth limit.

Mack

Hi Mack - Good to see you here!

In the interest of full disclosure, the 25$/day fee is for a class entry to the theater [not the whole thing]

I routinely try to run my students down there for a boyancy/refresher class for 50-100$ [depending on how many come out]. The Feb dive wimped out for some reason, but I'm going to put out my invite for March pretty soon.

If any of the board members would like to join in - cool! - just PM me or one of the other OHS instructors or call OHS.

Goose75:
If you doing a spirng break roadtrip you have plenty of time to drive to some salt water. You can drive to South Padre in about 12 hours and the Sea of Cortez in 15. Or you can go to Freeport and head out for the gardens or rigs.

This is hard for me to say, but..... "I've never been to Flower Gardens" :11:
It really sux! I have 2 kids that I tote everywhere with me. Untill I get them out from under my arm, the liveaboards are out. I hope to go in the next 2 years.

For now, there are a lot of other waters I haven't conquered around, so I'll stick to shorter trips till I make my way further.

Here's what I'm considering so far: Lea, Travis, Murry, Athens Scuba Park, & Amistad
(I'll probably do Allen Henry in the next week or two. It's only a 2 hour drive from me.)

Back
Top Bottom