I need a Texas road trip.....where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44:
I haven't heard anything about Lea Lake either. In Roswell? What is it like?

I've never been there. I did a quick search on DT mag after reading your post. You might try a seperate post and see if any NM divers respond.

texdiveguy:
Mack... how does the day pass work for $25...I thought you had to go thru their course??? Thanks Alan

You do have to go through the course. I've been a scientific diver there for three years and I have never heard of a $25 day pass at Aquarena. Oak Hill probably does training dives there, but other than volunteers and staff, those are the only people I know of that are authorized to dive there.

ScubaTexan:
You do have to go through the course. I've been a scientific diver there for three years and I have never heard of a $25 day pass at Aquarena. Oak Hill probably does training dives there, but other than volunteers and staff, those are the only people I know of that are authorized to dive there.

Thanks Ken,,,sorta what I thought.

So that ones out....anywhere else?

I actually did the night dive in that silly river. The current made for a funny looking triangle! I agree about the depth though. If you do get to 12' you're looking at plant roots and can't see the surface.

That doesn't sound like much fun. I can't believe there is nothing else this side of SanAntone. :0(

Take a real road trip to South Padre spring break Party and you can hook up with American divers. They have a web site. Dive varies dive sites offshore, Navy Tug, Liberty ships, devils elbow. The Artificial reef is only a few miles from the jetty if you want to charter your own boat but Tim O leary has been there for years.

Have you been to Lake Amistad near Del Rio yet ???
I'm on the opposite side of the state so its a long trip for me and there really is not a dive shop open all the time near there. The times I've been to the lake its beautiful.
The Vis. is often excellent and it can get deep too... caves... ect... Great Mexican food close by ( man I'm geting hungry ):wink:
I've never been diving there but I know that from reports it's got to be worth a shot and I plan to go there sometime and make a week out of it. This is a pic. from awhile back when Laura and I were there and, Yes, it is that blue!

Lake Allen Henry is a good dive about 15 miles south of Post Texas and has about 15-20 ft visability. It is boat accessable only, because it is in an old man made rock quary. I have heard that the dam is a good dive, but we just went to a couple of inlets 20-30 ft deep. It is a big lake so make sure you bring a dive flag for the boats. Also there is a missle silo here around Abilene called Valderaz (something like that) and goes to 130 feet deep. It is a cold dive however, so bring the dry suit. It is much like the blue hole, I have heard. I am looking forward to diving in the Blue Hole, we have been several times. About 45 miles to the east of Abilene is Lake Cisco, which has little visability but is warm and small with little boat activity. Silt on the bottom can be stirred up easily though. We did nitrox classes in the winter however and the water temp was about 45 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom