I need a Texas road trip.....where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of good advice. For a road trip, I think that you would be happier if you took the extra time and went to Corpus or South Padre. If you do go to S. Padre, I recommend American Diving as well. I have been on 2 trips with them and Tim O'Leary is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He is the prez of the NAUI Technical Board if that is any indication. If you want to stay closer, Then from San Antonio or Austin you could hit Lake Travis, the San Marcos river, and the Upper and Lower Comal river all in one weekend. If you need a buddy, I recommend contacting Duggan Diving, they usually have people going to those places almost every weekend and could probably link you up with someone. Their phone number is on their website at www.duggandiving.com and the owner there could probably make some other recommendations as well. He also sits on the NAUI technical board and is a wealth of info as well as being one of less than 10 divers still diving with a 3 digit number on their PADI cert card

Joh, no warm water around Dallas... but if you're willing to wear a heavy wetsuit, you could go to Dallas with your kids, and dive at Clear Springs in Terrell. Dallas has tons of attractions for children (water parks, Six Flags, IMAX, racing, concerts/shows, pro sports- Rangers games now, etc.) and you would have decent diving within 20 miles of E Dallas. I love that little lake, although I haven't been since the fall. It's getting time to go back out there, however. Hopefully the vis will be getting back where it was last spring, around 25-40 ft at times, so very nice along the walls. I've heard low vis reports this winter, but haven't looked at CSSP's website lately to see if there's been improvement. Hopefully these last rains will help and April will be nice.

If you're desperate for warmer temps, however, your best bet is the Comal river in New Braunfels, if taking the Aquarena scientific diver course is not for you. (We just finished the course, however, and I'm convinced that there's no better diving on mainland Texas- 70 to 90 ft vis, plus it's just a sweet little lake. 6 hour drive for us and worth it.)

NB is also great for kids, with tubing/swimming down the river, Schlitterbahn, great food, etc. The water temps are 72 degrees yr. round, I wear a 3mm with 2mm shorty, hood AND beanie, 4mm gloves and never get cold. At the Prince Solm's area, you can simply walk to the put-in spot, drift down and then puddle around in the pooled area, then exit. It's a nice dive, especially now before there are too many drunks tubing, like in the summer. Not that I have a problem with drunken tubing, mind you, I just don't want to dive with them above me, especially in 15' max depths.

If you're the type to camp, there's nice camping, even with a tent. We just stayed at the Landa RV park for about a week, and it's very nice down by the river. Be sure you get a riverside site, I don't think I would have been happy in the other sections.

Give us a report about what you decide.

Foo nailed it this time!!

Comal's the place for you. 72f year 'round. I was there in January and the viz was great. Loads of fish and some turtles. Lots for family & kids to do.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom