I need a Texas road trip.....where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
Have you been to Lake Amistad near Del Rio yet ???
I'm on the opposite side of the state so its a long trip for me and there really is not a dive shop open all the time near there. The times I've been to the lake its beautiful.
The Vis. is often excellent and it can get deep too... caves... ect... Great Mexican food close by ( man I'm geting hungry ):wink:
I've never been diving there but I know that from reports it's got to be worth a shot and I plan to go there sometime and make a week out of it. This is a pic. from awhile back when Laura and I were there and, Yes, it is that blue!

There was an article in one of the scuba magazines a couple years ago (maybe june/july/august 2004 issue of scuba diving magazine or dive training) about some people who found the spring mouth at Amistad at the bottom of the lake. It started at something like 140 feet and they did something like a 500 foot penetration into the cave entrance. They showed a map and some pictures of the cave. The cave was all lime stone walls. A very interesting article. I'll try to find out what magazine/issue it was and let you know. :)

rkr3000:
Lake Cisco, which has little visability but is warm and small with little boat activity. Silt on the bottom can be stirred up easily though. We did nitrox classes in the winter however and the water temp was about 45 degrees.

lol .. them be drysuit waters. :wink:

The Comal river near New Braunfels is a constant 72 deg. Not much grass to crawl over either.

amascuba:
There was an article in one of the scuba magazines a couple years ago (maybe june/july/august 2004 issue of scuba diving magazine or dive training) about some people who found the spring mouth at Amistad at the bottom of the lake. It started at something like 140 feet and they did something like a 500 foot penetration into the cave entrance. They showed a map and some pictures of the cave. The cave was all lime stone walls. A very interesting article. I'll try to find out what magazine/issue it was and let you know. :)

in the Dec04 issue of Scuba Diving, p. 25.

Maximum depth the exploration team has reached to date is 393'.

amascuba:

Here is a link to the Goodenough Springs Exploration Project

http://www.goodenoughsprings.org/

Project is run by Chuck Noe and Mike Gault. Chuck is the maker of the famous "Photon Torpedo" dive light (and a bunch of other top shelf gear)

http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm

You can try Lake Meredith up in Amarillo. It's not on anyone's "Wish" list but you can dive it. It'll be colder than @$(&@!%() right now though.

Yes, I plan on diving Meridith this summer (with a drysuit). I plan on doing the silos close to Abilene. Just can't seem to hook up with a group that is going.

I will do some research'in on Lake Amistad. It sounds very interesting. I'll have to plan a trip there spring break maybe.

Allen Henry....good diving? Really? I haven't heard that. I'm pretty close to it. I'll have to check on it too. I'm too close not to try that out.

I'm glad I asked....got lots of good ideas. Thanks everyone!!!!
Jo

Jo you might consider Lake Murray just 2 hours north of DFW area in Ok.. We have had some nice diving there this winter season..

I will check on that one too. Thanks.

I'm makin a list.

scubajoh44:
I will check on that one too. Thanks.

I'm makin a list.

... and checkin it twice ...

humanphibian:
Here is a link to the Goodenough Springs Exploration Project

http://www.goodenoughsprings.org/

Project is run by Chuck Noe and Mike Gault. Chuck is the maker of the famous "Photon Torpedo" dive light (and a bunch of other top shelf gear)

http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm

You can try Lake Meredith up in Amarillo. It's not on anyone's "Wish" list but you can dive it. It'll be colder than @$(&@!%() right now though.

good information. :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom