I Need a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok, I have been diving for some time now and have never bought a computer (mainly becasue I am cheap). I am an experienced diver and have decided that its time to spring for one. I just don't know which one to get. As of now I am a recreational dive but comming in august I will be entering the U.S. Navy as a technical fleet diver. So, I need a computer that is user friendly and can support the demand of techincal, long, and deep dives. Any help would be greatly [FONT=&quot]appreciated.
[/FONT]

I am niether a Computer Guru or a "U.S. Navy, technical fleet diver" diving Technical, Long, and deep dives, but I pretend to be all that and Much much more on the internet...

My limited understanding of Tech Diving is computers are not used. There is a use for them in Gauge Mode but for the actual diving, Tables are used. Equations and several pieces of paper which look like some one spilled a bowl of ABC's and 123's soup on it.

As for a computer to use for Recreation diving as in Jump and Go there are many options which fit different people's needs. There are many many many threads here which debate them.

Good luck on your Navy career and I am sure as you progress through their training program you will learn what will work and what won't... IF I had a nickel for every C-note I spent on the latest greatest add on that I ran out to buy BEFORE taking the Ninja, Black OPS, Shoot School class to only find out the accesory I bought will not work with this new technique... boxes and boxes and boxes of useless crap...

Some technical divers do use computers... they typically look for multiple gasses, etc.

Popular ones for technical diving include the VR-3 and the Cochran among others. The VR-3 from Delta-P seems to be the computer of choice, just be pre-pared for sticker shock... you can easily spend $1400 for the entry level (ok, what I consider entry level) and by the time you unlock all the functions and features, wind up around $2000.

Mind you the VR-3 handles just about every type of diving, open circuit, closed circuit, semi-closed... multiple gasses on top of multiple gasses... plus you can play breakout when you are on a deco stop... :)

NavyDiver4Life:
I have been diving for some time now and have never bought a computer. ... I am a recreational dive but comming in august I will be entering the U.S. Navy as a technical fleet diver. ... need a computer that is user friendly and can support the demand of techincal, long, and deep dives.
As Eric suggests, you may not need a computer as much as good timing devices. There may not be only one computer right for you. Also, you may not get a response on SB from anyone doing exactly what you will be doing in the Navy. Your ultimate choice may be determined by upcoming experiences. But, everyone starts somewhere and your first purchase may be a great one, or may be one that you use for a few years after which you move on. Don't let analysis paralysis hold you back, either. Some features to think about:
Big, readable (underwater, in low light) display
Nitrox-capable
Trimix-capable (based on your comments about tec)
Multi-gas capacity
Gauge mode availability
PC interface for info downloading

There are lots of threads on SB so do a search on computers as well. I started in rec with a Suunto Vytec and have never regretted it. Doesn't mean there aren't 17 equally good or better units, only that I endorse it based on my individual rec experiences. In tec I use the Vytec AND a Nitek He, notwithstanding the fact that tec doesn't require a computer, rather redundant timer functions (I dive my plan according to run times, but it is nice to have my computers reinforcing my deco status).

Don't worry the navy will give you all the equipment you will need to work as a navy diver and you will probably not be allowed to use any of your civvie gear so don't worry about the dives you will do other than recreational.

wedivebc:
Don't worry the navy will give you all the equipment you will need to work as a navy diver and you will probably not be allowed to use any of your civvie gear so don't worry about the dives you will do other than recreational.

Good point! :D

wedivebc:

Exactly. Uncle will provide you with everything you need; tables, computer, regulator, rebreather, t-shirt, underwear, etc.

I did not need to supply my own sidearm to carry when I was in the Army.

Cochran makes the only dive computer I know of that is used by the USN.

http://www.divecochran.com/press_clippings/Skin_Diver/0701.html

Also from what I understand the Navy does top-side chamber deco too... so you better plan on getting really good at pealing gear and stuff off... speed walking across the deck and getting into the chamber. :D

everyone is right here. i am in the navy and you will be provided with all the diving equipment needed to complete your task. most of the time you are not allowed to use outside diving equipment, everything knowadays is usually by the pubs (manuals) and has to be navy certified for official use. if u start using your own equipment on ops and something happens your liable. so dont waste your money on useless stuff because most of the diving in the navy is salvage diving and underwater welding anyway which truthfully i dont even know if they use computers. most of those techie civilian computers ae for mixed gas, trimix, rebreather diving, etc. most of that stuff i dont know if it is even done in the navy but i could be wrong. there are some navy divers among the crowd here and you can ask them about their job. i am not a diver so i dont really know. but i have friends that are. a good rec computer would prob be along the lines of an aeris. cheap, affordable, and works under almost all conitions. i love mine. good luck in pensacola at dive school, and make sure your in top physical shape for the school. there will be very long days of running, swimming and calisthenics. stay motivated and best of luck to you.

p.s. it is not to late to tell your recruiter youve had a change of heart and would rather submit a package to come to coronado and go to BUD/S. blowing things up underwater is more fun than fixing things.

good luck in pensacola at dive school, and make sure your in top physical shape for the school. there will be very long days of running, swimming and calisthenics. stay motivated and best of luck to you.

sorry i meant panama city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom