• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I need 100 of you...

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by couta0938, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Jeff Toorish

Jeff Toorish Instructor, Scuba

Andy,

Done. But just to be clear, this is not a scientific study because it's self-selecting.

But it will be interesting to see the results anyway.

Jeff

2. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I witnessed a strange and somewhat funny sight yesterday at the wall. An older diver had just doffed his tank and was trying to get out of his drysuit but couldn't get the neckseal over the cigarette he had in is mouth. He couldn't even wait three minutes out of the water for his next fix.

3. Porscheguy

Porscheguy Angel Fish

There you go! great survey, I can't say i see the purpose of diving solo, but hey, whatever turns your crank, I do think it is important though not to be completly resting on your buddies shoulder, you should be proficent, and self reliable, as well.

4. Whatgoesdown

Whatgoesdown Instructor, Scuba

Filled in, hope it helps.

As a professional I am in that grey area where technically I am diving solo even when leading a group, however, there are usually plenty of alternate air sources around me so I am certainly not alone. I had to answer "yes" to being endangered by a buddy because divers under my care have (although thankfully not often) put me in some degree of danger. I don't believe that solo diving should necessarily become more acceptable because divers need to think very hard about getting involved. Proper training/standards should be available though, you are never going to stop it happening.

5. stevenq99

stevenq99 Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Done

Please share results when done. Good luck with your project.

6. Paco

Paco ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Also done. Good luck with your studies.

7. markfm

markfm PADI Pro

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Done. I wonder what responses would have occured if you asked something about "ever dove with a buddy who you felt could not be trusted in an emergency" or something like that. The spaced-out-buddy syndrome, where they aren't actively endangering you, but are same-ocean buddies rather than real ones.

8. Snif

Snif Guest

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Done..simply enuf..

9. CBulla

CBulla ~..facebook conch..~ ScubaBoard Supporter

For those curious as to why someone would wish to dive solo, dive with me at Venice Beach and when you pause to look around and wonder where I am (possibly 2-3' from you but silted out) you'll know why so many of us just carry our own flag and strive to just stay in vicinity of one another. Even when diving with my wife there, we're choosing to carry our own flag so that when we are invariably seperated we can surface and find one another.

When ya get down to it, I'll dive a lot of dives solo if given the chance.. I find that most of the diving I do is very easy as far as skill level is concerned.

10. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Completed. Do post your findings.

Haven't they always been the "OTHER" agency? :D