• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I need 100 of you...

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by couta0938, Oct 16, 2005.

1. couta0938

couta0938 Angel Fish

Hello all,
    I'm doing some research on solo diving and the buddy system, with a view to find out just how much safer, if at all, diving with a buddy is than diving solo.

It's nothing difficult, 10 questions and two optional text boxes. It'll take five minutes max, but my statistics tell me most people complete the 10 questions and fill in one text box within 220 seconds :wink:

Thanks for your time,
    Andy

Mod note: URL delted from intial post per member's request

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    Done. Why the research?

3. couta0938

couta0938 Angel Fish

I'm studying a Bachelor of Arts Honours degree in Outdoors Education and Adventure Recreation. This is my final research project, 25% of my total mark. :)

4. Turtle Diver

Turtle Diver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    OK, I answered your questions. But I doubt you're going to get anything useful out of this survey. The results are not going to change the opinion of anybody who's already got their mind set on way or the other.

5. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Don't think there was any expressed intent to change opinion, just to lay out the "facts" based on the survey.

If you look at the "facts" regarding cigarette smoking, how much do you think they have changed the opinions of smokers? Of course here in California many have quit, but I still see a LOT of smoking in visiting groups from other areas of the States, Europe and Asia. You would think those "facts" would cause everyone to quit, but they don't.

6. couta0938

couta0938 Angel Fish

Hi Mark,
    The survey is not intended to change opinions. It is purely for collecting qualitative data (i.e. statistics) that I can use as references to support my various arguments.

Thanks anyway,
    Andy

7. do it easy

do it easy Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    done! it was pretty painless. what is a risk assesment specifically? is this particular to one agency, or is it more like making sure your mask in on and your buddy is conscious before you jump in?

8. Li'l38

Li'l38 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Is it limited to divers with more than 1yr experience? (no choice on the survey for <1yr)

9. mdb

mdb ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

I've been solo diving for 30+ years, after a few panicked "buddies" proved that the buddy system has, IMHO, lots of potential hazards. The DIR folks have made a lot of progress in this regard, however; I still beleive that divers should be self reliant and equipped accordingly. I hope you will post your survey results.

10. ZenDiva

ZenDiva Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Parden my ignorance but I thought that you HAD to dive w/a buddy...once certified....or at least until you reach a certain level....

Zendiva