I made $100 for flipping my light switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Don, I had been avoiding posting, hated to be the only naysayer but if you do a quick math exercise the savings can't be that much unless you replace a huge number of bulbs. Kwh cost here are in the $0.07 range or about 1/3 of your number. Realistic monthly savings for an average US home are in the $0.75 per bulb or less range. I have replaced a good number of them in my home but not for the energy savings. I much prefer the daylight color as opposed the the "normal" color of either incandesent bulbs or other floresents.

I have eleven (11) 60 watt bulbs that are on all the time in my house 24/7 I could save $27.00 buy changing these to thoughs 26 watt bulbs. I pay 12 cents /kwh

We have over 60 lightbulbs in our house and I don't have that big of a house.

I never thought about this that much thats like two tanks of gas for the bike.

2 things to be aware of.
1. Compact Fluorescents don't like dimmer switches.
2. Remote control receivers don't like CFBs. Don't know why, but I almost burnt the house down by switching bulbs in my ceiling fan.

LEDs are the wave of the future but right now there is no standardization and the white bulbs are iffy in their color rendition. They are a lot more eco-friendly in terms of mercury & stuff like that.

When CFBs first came out it seems every time I went to replace one that model of bulb was no longer made so I had to by a new fixture. I expect the same thing will happen with current LED fixtures until some standards are adopted.

Here is a link to a good article by someone who installed a buy-back photovoltaic system in the LA area. Some of the energy company shenanigans may very in your area, but it's good to go into something like this with your eyes open. An addition I designed client for a client in San Diego includes both PV & Solar hot water, we figure a pay-back of 4 1/2 - 5 years at current energy rates.

Thanks Don, I had been avoiding posting, hated to be the only naysayer but if you do a quick math exercise the savings can't be that much unless you replace a huge number of bulbs. Kwh cost here are in the $0.07 range or about 1/3 of your number. Realistic monthly savings for an average US home are in the $0.75 per bulb or less range. I have replaced a good number of them in my home but not for the energy savings. I much prefer the daylight color as opposed the the "normal" color of either incandesent bulbs or other floresents.
I went to bed too early, woke up for a while, but not enough to be posting that well. My bottom line cost for electricity is more like 9c/kwh. I edited my post.

I still suggest the change, even tho it may take 4 months to pay for the 100w equivalent bulbs and may never save $50 a month...
I have eleven (11) 60 watt bulbs that are on all the time in my house 24/7 I could save $27.00 buy changing these to thoughs 26 watt bulbs. I pay 12 cents /kwh

We have over 60 lightbulbs in our house and I don't have that big of a house.

I never thought about this that much thats like two tanks of gas for the bike.
I do think the equivalent wattage is overrated a bit, so I'd replace the 60 watt bulbs with the 75 watt equivalents: 20 watt CFBs. 60 - 20 = 40 watt/hour x 24 h/d (on those 11) x 30 d/m = 28,800 whrs or 28.8 kwh @ 12c = $3.46: bulb pays for itself first month, continues to save $3.46/month for 10 months maybe since you're burning them 6 times as much as the 4 h/d than the estimates use = $34.60 saved per bulb less the $2.52 cost of the bulb = $32 each saved over lift of bulb. Or: 3.46/month x 11 bulbs = $38 a month saved. Go For It...!

Would they save money in the other 50 bulb sockets? Sure, eventually. 24 h/d, 4 h/d, 1 h/d - whatever, they're going to save. Maybe not that important an idea in closets, but when you run out of old bulbs, I still would.

I have heard that LEDs are just not ready yet, but as much as CFBs have improved in two years - maybe by the time your CFBs start to go, the LEDs will be better? For now, I only buy LED dive lights and flashlights.

Good for you Miss :)

A note: some of the complaints about those bulbs is that they are dimmer than a regular bulb.
The solution? ... get one in a higher wattage in those places that you really need the light ... I have a 34W in my desk work light and I love it, very bright, cooler .. no more being cooked by the 100w one that it replaced

I have been using these bulbs for quite some time and they are great, and last far longer.

As for being dimmer, not really. When you turn one on this is the case, but after a few minutes it is just fine.

I love them!

Let's see; 15 bulbs in ceiling fans, 11 bulbs in the kitchen alone, 6 in my bathroom, then I have the guest rooms, formal dining, breakfast nook, etc. I'm not going to do all that math. :no

Anywhooozle, I still think people should check out Walmart and the Walmart brand of bulbs. They make all sorts of bulbs. They have them for ceiling fans/lights, regular lights, desk lamps, and the list goes on. Personally, I think they have made huge leaps of late in the quality of the bulb. And if my electric bill has come down however much and I am doing something good then you can say anything you'd like :)

In my experience, the low watt replacements (15w 20w ) are not as bright as the 100w bulb that they sometimes say they are equal to .. just get a higher watt if you really need the light, reading, work, or crafts
One other thing, regular bulbs give off a lot of heat, and you have to cool that extra heat in the summer ... for me it was that my 100w work/craft light was cooking me :wink:

but, replace them because ..... for whatever reason that sounds good to you ..:D

Forgot about the heat thing? Yeah if you have to AC the heat, that's more money saved...!

Let's see; 15 bulbs in ceiling fans, 11 bulbs in the kitchen alone, 6 in my bathroom, then I have the guest rooms, formal dining, breakfast nook, etc. I'm not going to do all that math. :no

All on at the same time?? Turning them off when not in use saves a lot more cash and energy than swapping bulbs.

All on at the same time?? Turning them off when not in use saves a lot more cash and energy than swapping bulbs.

Of course I turn them off when not in use. :confused: However, I spend most of my time in the kitchen so they are on. Next most popular lights would be the bed and bath areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom