I made $100 for flipping my light switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to buy some for outside on my garage but it said on the box they don't go with the photo eyes dust to dawn thing. I liked the idea of the 8000 hr burn time

They won't work with a light detector but they will work with a timer and nowadays there are some very cheap and small ones available.

That is what I'd like to get next. They are a little pricey at the moment ($30). I've never liked all those things like the cable staying on anyway. If I need to know the time, I have a watch. I don't need 20 boxes using electric to tell me.

Kim, I'm thinking me and solar panels is similar to an ant and a magnifying glass?????????

Actually, Florida has some alternative power stuff that will assist to pay in installing solar on your house, plus you then qualify for tax credits for using alternative to dead dino power. :)

Not to crap in your Wheaties, but you do realize how environmentally destructive the production of solar cells is, right? It's not like they grow on trees.
I know they aren't that green to make, but once made they produce free, clean power for an awful long time.
I've never heard that the net benefit doesn't massively outweigh the original cost.

As long as your lightswitch doesn't look like THIS one! (What the HELL were they thinking??)

lightswitchmh2.jpg

As long as your lightswitch doesn't look like THIS one! (What the HELL were they thinking??)

lightswitchmh2.jpg

LOL...You are not going to post that in the "Are you going to Heaven" thread. Are you?

I swapped out a fair number of bulbs in my house & I'll be damned if I can see a nickle's difference in my bills. Walmart bulbs.

I was going to buy some for outside on my garage but it said on the box they don't go with the photo eyes dust to dawn thing. I liked the idea of the 8000 hr burn time
They won't work with a light detector but they will work with a timer and nowadays there are some very cheap and small ones available.
Hmmm, I have a CF Outdoor Flood Lamp and it works fine in my photocell controlled fixture

Hmmm, I have a CF Outdoor Flood Lamp and it works fine in my photocell controlled fixture
The ones designed for that are rather new and may not be as easy to find - certainly not in all Wal-marts yet.

I switched to CFBs a couple of years ago and posted here. It's good to see the subject come up again, as they are a good idea. I doubt that they were the total reason for the $50 change in the bill, but they do indeed help. The difference per bulb can be estimated...

100 watt bulb replaced with 26 watts = 74 watts/hour saved. 74 w/h x 4 h/day x 30 days/month = 8880 watt-hours or 8.9 kwh @ 9c maybe = 80c month saved per bulb. :hmmm: Okay, maybe 62 bulbs in a house could save $50 a month, or if the average burn time is more like 8 hours a month for 31 bulbs - sure.

Some of mine certainly burn more than 4 hrs/day, some hardly ever, but I have replaced some of the 2005 bulbs with the even more compact bulbs - nicer.

1112997359781_215X215.jpg

One mistake I made is buying some of the cheaper yellow light CFBs; I greatly prefer the bluish daylight bulbs. I don't even like the yellowish ones in closets or garage but that's where they got moved. And the prices have come down so nicely since 2005. Here's a six-pack for $15.16 Walmart.com - Always Low Prices! - GE CFL Light Bulb: 26 Watt (100W Equivalent), 6-Pk altho they do not qualify for site-to-store free shipping. $2.52 each is 10x as high as what I would pay for incandescent bulbs, but again - yeah they pay for themselves in maybe 4 months of electricity savings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom