I live in a somewhat unique environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 7mm semi-dry all year round. Typical winter temperatures are around 37f and summer temperatures are around 53f. Ive never had any trouble with these temperatures but I once dived in a river that was 61f and I ended up way overheating in my semi-dry. So much so that i ended up taking off my semi-dry and diving in my trunks. Outher guys where diving in membrane suits and had no problems since they had just put on thin under-suits.

So i guess in my experience, if i was going to be diving in temperatures above 53f on a regular basis i would probably get a membrane suit so i could vary my insulation. Or for the cost of that i could probably get at least two wetsuits of varying thickness for diving different conditions.

I believe he meant it ranges from 110 degrees to below zero.

Well, that's a leetle beet different then, isn't it? :shakehead:

Another vote for a trilam drysuit: it will handle the big swings with various thicknesses of undergarments.

While a trilaminate might be the best single-solution, it's far from being the most cost-effective option, which I think is the reason you're looking for a single-solution to start with.

I'd consider a crappy used 7mm, a crappy used 3mm and a decent new hooded vest or chicken vest. That should give you pretty good 40-80F options, and run you about $200 total if you're a common size.

I use a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit year round. My bottom temps. range from 33F to over 60F here. When it hits 65 or over (on a trip South), I usually just use the top (you have to adjust trim without the bottom obviously). A shortie or body suit is best for temps. above 70-75 (in my case). Haven't had BC or reg. troubles yet (maybe lucky?).

I can't easily or comfortably dive below the high 40s in my full 7mm with 5/3mm hooded vest for the 45-60 min I would like. I would certainly dive dry for frequent dives in this temp range.

Good diving, Craig

Yeah. Buy the arm and the leg of a drysuit and will the rest to materialise or use the
aquaregia Knowone method and scratch together all your gear for a fifth the price of one. Then suck it in and go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom