I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take one of my ARs (in 308 or 556) over one of my shotguns most of the time.

Not for skeet nor bird hunting. Obviously.

But for defense I find rifles vastly preferable. More rounds, lethal at greater ranges than a shotgun, lighter and suited to defend anything from a bedroom to a home to a neighborhood if any of those instances come about.

Pistols are for getting to where your rifles are. I suppose shotguns are good for that too. : )

I may be wrong and will be happy to admit it at the proper time, but for inside the home protection, it seems to me a shotgun with the proper load would have more knock down ability than an AR15 with 5.56 or possibly .308 due to the penetrating ability of the smaller round. The AR15 may be more lethal (don't know) but I don't care about the DOA an hour later. I'd want the bad guy to be knocked back/down by the blast and stunned by the trauma it caused, ergo my perception gives the shotgun the advantage. I prefer a pistol because of the ease of storage and my confidence. My preference is probably outside the 'study norm.'

Can an ar punch through block or concrete walls?

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 06:19 PM ----------

LB probably suffering pub withdrawal and does not know what he is typing.
Pub, what's that? ;-) i do miss sassy... And my spelling is going to crap without Vlad...
So, :holysheep: how long must you remain in economy class?

Where's Hoaty?
Not sure, until dad let's me back in... :shrug: I am getting more work done without it. Lol

You got banned from the pub? haha. Come on down and we'll go kill some fish.

Oh but the things you are missing! The new Hot Chick thread is AWESOME, we have solved most of the nations problems and are this () close to developing a plan for world peace.

And we've also discovered the secret to free beer.

I may be wrong and will be happy to admit it at the proper time, but for inside the home protection, it seems to me a shotgun with the proper load would have more knock down ability than an AR15 with 5.56 or possibly .308 due to the penetrating ability of the smaller round. The AR15 may be more lethal (don't know) but I don't care about the DOA an hour later. I'd want the bad guy to be knocked back/down by the blast and stunned by the trauma it caused, ergo my perception gives the shotgun the advantage. I prefer a pistol because of the ease of storage and my confidence. My preference is probably outside the 'study norm.'

I can (almost) guarantee that a .22 on steroids (which is what a .223/5.56 NATO is, in effect) zipping along at a coupla-thousand FPS is going to take down the target just fine.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 06:46 PM ----------

it's spelled b-o-l-o-g-n-a. :wink:

That's its LAST name. Its first name is O-S-C-A-R.

Last edited:
Knockdown is actually a misnomer, said Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, program manager for individual Soldier weapons at PEO-Soldier. “You generally don’t knock anyone down, unless you have a very, very large round and you hit bone.” What typically brings down a human being when hit with a bullet is the “bleed-out effect”: massive blood loss that causes the body to shut down, the person staggers and then collapses.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2010/05/25/d...’s-all-about-the-wound-channel/#ixzz2iDGOGuXR
Defense.org

Winning hearts and minds. 2 + 1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom