I killed a Lionfish under Deerfield Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy cow, that's something else, stripping the spines on the spot! Did you use a sea snips to do that? How did you hold it while you stripped the spines, on the end of your knife?

Holy cow, that's something else, stripping the spines on the spot! Did you use a sea snips to do that? How did you hold it while you stripped the spines, on the end of your knife?

slid it off the knife put it on a rock and my friends were like "WTH ARE YOU DOING!!!!" and took the knife and removed the dorsal spines and then ya put it in the bucket and told them there was a lion fish in there when the bring it up to be careful cause idk if i got all the spines

Holy crap, Brett, be careful with those things in the future! Still, great job today. :thumb:

Holy crap, Brett, be careful with those things in the future! Still, great job today. :thumb:

:D i am a crazy diver plus i am used to working with Lionfish in fish tanks so i know a good amount of information on them to feel okay doing it... did not enjoy it though im not a killer....

Yah, well, be careful. There's an old saying "there are old divers, and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers." I'm so delighted that you did the deed but please be careful, dude!

And remember, the LIONFISH is the real killer...of our reefs. What you did today is take out the bad guy so the good guys could live. :thumb:

Yah, well, be careful. There's an old saying "there are old divers, and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers." I'm so delighted that you did the deed but please be careful, dude!

And remember, the LIONFISH is the real killer...of our reefs. What you did today is take out the bad guy so the good guys could live. :thumb:

You put it that way i feel much better :)

Nice new user title, Brett! You earned it! :)

... and at that point the thread lost almost all possibility of staying on track... which was the killing of lionfish in southeast Florida...

There was only one hope for the thread at that time...

Say, has anyone killed a lionfish in southeast Florida?

(small hijack...) I noticed BP is attempting to keep lionfish out of the Gulf of Mexico and the west side of Florida... (Oops)

I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean to hijack the thread....

someone told me not to spear them because if you spear a lionfish they release their sperm or eggs in the water (don't remember which) has anybody else heard of this?

Hey, they release their sperm and eggs in the water every few days anyway. When you spear them, if that even is true (and I think it's urban legend), at least it is the LAST time they release them!!! And, of course, there has to be another lionfish nearby for the eggs to be fertilized...but you'll spear that one too, right? :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom