I killed a Lionfish under Deerfield Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I don't want to spend $100+ for a foldaspear and I only have short dive knife and shears what are my options to carry with me that is not in my way during the dive but can be deployed if one spots a lionfish.
Um, are you asking me how to carry the Foldspear? It comes with a pouch that velcroes shut. There are two comfortable elastic bands to adjust to keep it on your body, one goes around your waist and the other around your thigh. It is incredibly comfortable; I've worn mine on 6 dives so far.

See a lionfish...un-velcro the bag and pull out the spear...grab one end and shake and it snaps into place.

:popcorn: inquiring minds want to know.

I have a 6' fiberglass pole spear myself.
I killed a bunch of snapper and grunts with mine many many years ago.
It is kind of a pain in the bottom though when buggin' or picturin'.
I spoke with Debby and she agreed its kind of a high-tech folding tent pole.
Now....how to affix a point on a tent pole, and where to buy one/some of them.
I am thinking that the best point on these would be a tri-pointed gig.

Chug
Ain't got wun yit.
It's really a lot more high tech than a tent pole, it is beautifully machined high quality aluminum. The analogy to a tent pole is that it has a very high quality elastic running through it, and when you are done dispatching the critter, you fold it up like a tent pole. Then put it back in the pouch, velcro it shut, and off you go.

Yes it's expensive but I don't want to schlep something bigger around with me. I forget the Foldspear is there until I need it.

I am neither the owner of nor an employee of Foldspear, just a happy customer. Currently, UnderSeas Sports Fort Lauderdale has them.

A simple lobster net and adequate dive knife may be the best option for many divers. Net, pin against the bottom and cut with extreme prejudice...
I like the idea a lot! And, I found a knife at Venice this weekend that would do the job... But, I really don't want to carry around the old style "Bowie" knife (Flash backs of Sea Hunt and "The Rapture" keep popping into my head... make it go away!) :D

For this action to work, you will want to leave the dead carcass on the bottom, or you will want a good dive knife to cut off the spines before attempting to "bag-n-tag" your prize. Otherwise, you will need a net or will carry the fish around like this for the rest of the dive
Not that REEF is the authority on LIONFISH...but I spoke with three reps at the Blue Wild last weekend and I told them I wanted to kill them and leave them there. They begged me to reconsider and to please start bringing them up after poking a hole in them. They said they are so hard to kill that divers are finding LIONFISH swimming around quite alive with holes from spears in them.

Friday night, I met a rep from FWC and told her what REEF told me, and she concurred. She said FWC has heard of LIONFISH with holes in them surviving.

Live lionfish make baby lionfish. In massive quantities.

REEF showed me what to bring them up in. It's a cheap solution available at dive shops, Bass Pro, West Marine, etc. You know those clear dry bags that people use to put towels and clothing in on the dive boat? Bring one of those on your dive, air out and folded up small. See a LIONFISH? Open it, let the water in, put your beastie in it carefully, seal it up and bring that bass turd back onto the boat!

Not that REEF is the authority on LIONFISH...but I spoke with three reps at the Blue Wild last weekend and I told them I wanted to kill them and leave them there. They begged me to reconsider and to please start bringing them up after poking a hole in them. They said they are so hard to kill that divers are finding LIONFISH swimming around quite alive with holes from spears in them.

Friday night, I met a rep from FWC and told her what REEF told me, and she concurred. She said FWC has heard of LIONFISH with holes in them surviving.

Live lionfish make baby lionfish. In massive quantities.

REEF showed me what to bring them up in. It's a cheap solution available at dive shops, Bass Pro, West Marine, etc. You know those clear dry bags that people use to put towels and clothing in on the dive boat? Bring one of those on your dive, air out and folded up small. See a LIONFISH? Open it, let the water in, put your beastie in it carefully, seal it up and bring that bass turd back onto the boat!
Holy Crap! Thanks Debby!. Ya know those clear ones can be had for less than $20 and it sounds like a great way to make up the difference of attempting to cut off the spines at depth without killing yourself. With a little Velcro tie, one of these could be added to a BP and the only drag would be the same as a sausage or lift bag...

Cool! I've been looking for the answer to "after-kill" problem... and you seem to have solved it... EXCELLENT!

Well I don't carry a tickle stick with me on a dive. I guess I could get something shorter and stove is somewhere on my BP or something and only pull it out if lionfish is spoted.

Iztok?? Is this the same one that pulled someone's weights off (and not at their request) at depth at LNQ putting the diver in GRAVE danger??

Also, more than one vendor at the Blue Wild (including REEF) was selling the gloves that hospital employees wear to prevent needle sticks. MSRP about $45-50. They claim that the lionfish venom can't penetrate.

Iztok?? Is this the same one that pulled someone's weights off (and not at their request) at depth at LNQ putting the diver in GRAVE danger??

Ah, good story isn't it? It is missing few details and facts but why bother with them when rumor is much better and makes great camp fire story. No weights were pulled from an overweight diver and that is all I am going to say about this malicious rumor really.

Here is the one i killed

PICT5887.jpg

Ah, good story isn't it? It is missing few details and facts but why bother with them when rumor is much better and makes great camp fire story. No weights were pulled from an overweight diver and that is all I am going to say about this malicious rumor really.

OK.....Just that it came from some highly reputable divers, instructors and PDRA volunteers....some day I'd like to know the true story then.....You may or not be surprised at the animosity shown whenever I hear any diver with knowledge of this recounts their version.............:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom