I killed a Lionfish under Deerfield Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I joined a group of divers for the annual pier cleanup today. While there I spotted and killed a small Lionfish. There was a bigger one spotted by another diver and is reported to still be in the area. I notified Reef.org. Im not sure what to do with the body. Its in my freezer. I was told that FAU may want it for research.

Video:
Lionfish Kill on Vimeo

these things are showing up everywhere!! congrats on getting rid of one!!

If I don't want to spend $100+ for a foldaspear and I only have short dive knife and shears what are my options to carry with me that is not in my way during the dive but can be deployed if one spots a lionfish.

If I don't want to spend $100+ for a foldaspear and I only have short dive knife and shears what are my options to carry with me that is not in my way during the dive but can be deployed if one spots a lionfish.

:popcorn: inquiring minds want to know.

I have a 6' fiberglass pole spear myself.
I killed a bunch of snapper and grunts with mine many many years ago.
It is kind of a pain in the bottom though when buggin' or picturin'.
I spoke with Debby and she agreed its kind of a high-tech folding tent pole.
Now....how to affix a point on a tent pole, and where to buy one/some of them.
I am thinking that the best point on these would be a tri-pointed gig.

Chug
Ain't got wun yit.

Last edited:
Killed one to on the clean up dive they are fast!!

Get a tickle stick and sharpen the end to a point. It will work for lobster (if you use tickle stick and net) or just for the fun of hearing the demented screams of your tortured lionfish! :D

Did I mention... Lionfish suck!

Get a tickle stick and sharpen the end to a point.

Well I don't carry a tickle stick with me on a dive. I guess I could get something shorter and stove is somewhere on my BP or something and only pull it out if lionfish is spoted.

Get a tickle stick and sharpen the end to a point. It will work for lobster (if you use tickle stick and net) or just for the fun of hearing the demented screams of your tortured lionfish! :D

Did I mention... Lionfish suck!

A simple lobster net and adequate dive knife may be the best option for many divers. Net, pin against the bottom and cut with extreme prejudice...

Well I don't carry a tickle stick with me on a dive. I guess I could get something shorter and stove is somewhere on my BP or something and only pull it out if lionfish is spoted.
There is your solution...

Go to your sporting goods store and get
  • A couple small pieces of camp cord
  • Zip ties
  • Metal or fiberglass tickle stick (metal will work better but you must have the tools to cut and sharpen)
  • Duct Tape or any type of grip tape

1. Your BP has holes on each side.
  2. Take two pieces of camp cord and zip ties to create a "holding" area for a straight line stick.
  3. Cut the tickle stick down to one hand length beyond your BP
  4. Use the Duct tape or grip tape on that hand length so your strike will have more power behind it (basically create a hand grip for better leverage on the shaft)

Now you have an easy grab lionfish spear that you can mount on your BP and not worry about until a demented lionfish crosses your path.

This might be difficult to "re-sheath" once you have taken it out during your dive. Drill a small hole just beyond the grip tape and attach a clip so you can clip it to a D-ring once you have deployed your LFS (LionFishSpear) {side note... I recommend you stay away from HomeDepot and Lowe's to acquire the clip... or at least tell everyone it came from somewhere else... long story... just trust me on this one}

For this action to work, you will want to leave the dead carcass on the bottom, or you will want a good dive knife to cut off the spines before attempting to "bag-n-tag" your prize. Otherwise, you will need a net or will carry the fish around like this for the rest of the dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom